Simplicity Hydro or Electric clutch problem?

weekendmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used simplicity 12.5 LTH rider and have been working on it to get it ready for a friend. It's a 12.5 HP V twin BS Vangaurd with a Hydro drive. I think it's an Eaton 700.

The problem is it has a major slow down in speed under load (uphill). It seems to sense the load and dramatically slow (as if I should get off and push) then gain speed when the load lightens somewhat.

I replaced the drive belt. Tried to change the hydro oil think I did it OK but only took 1 quart, with 2 quart capcity (was overfilled in remote resevoir and drain is above the bottom for full drain). I used 30 weight ND as stated (there's a remote resevoir and the level is now correct) but it's still dirty after running. I did clean the filter when draining. It seems like there is a normal Hydro whine when running with minimal "growl". I read that the electric clutch may be slipping causing the slow down. I checked the tolerance with a feeler gauge at 0.012" and all seemed OK, but the clutch is dirty with rusty adjustment bolts.

Is it the Hydro or Clucth???

Thanks