Simplicity 1694454 zero turn having switch problem, I think...

jhark

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Simplicity 1694454 zero turn having switch problem, I think...
2006 Simplicity 1694454 Consumer zero turn 44" Kohler Command 18Hp
410 Hours on meter
Serviced in April '21 by local Simplicity dealer. New battery 3/21. Tonight it shows 12.6 volts
This has been an excellent mower with no problems until last week. It seems something is going on electrically, possibly related to switches in the system.
Current situation:
-When starting, if the brake is engaged and control handles are out with me on the seat, nothing. If I release the brake it will start and run. But, if I move either control handle in, it stalls.
Some things I've tried:
-It will start and run with or without me on the seat, brake off, handles out. Engaging brake shuts off engine.
-I disconnected the seat switch and mower runs fine, with brake off and handles out.
-All ground connections appear tight. No obvious wire breaks or bare wires.
-I replaced PTO switch as a long shot, no change.
-Another observation. Sometimes the mower will run for several minutes and then stall. Without me doing anything.

I am stumped. I admit to being more mechanically inclined than electrically. I am hoping some else on here has experienced and fixed this. Thanks in advance. JH

jhark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgot to include above. Checked operation of seat switch and brake switches with meter and all operate correctly.

tagpop

Threads
With 10+ year old mower, replace the fuel filter and gas lines. Modern fuel is hard on gas lines and now days its hard to tell whether a fuel filter is blocked. Trouble starts slow and intermittent but it will finally quit running.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you wash mower with water & problem started? Have you bypassed any Safety switches?
Read page 7 in Operators Manual & check operation of Safety Switches. This I believe is where your problem is.
Start at page 21 Troubleshooting Section for your mower, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
You model # 1694454. is for a Zero turn Simplicity...........I would take another look at that seat switch. Simplicity does their seat switches differently. If you jump the two wires it won't start. The factory switch has a small spring action that makes connection as you sit in the seat. It may be difficult to see when you first look at the switch.