Sickle Bar Mower

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd love to have a Sickle Bar mower that will fit the 4231 - It would need to be 6' to 8' to reach close to the pond on the inside of my Dam.
I don't want to spend a small fortune and don't (won't) do ebay or paypal.
Is there anything available for the Ventrac - even if it needs to be self powered ????

Raw Dodge

Threads
I think your best bet would be to buy a used 3ph tractor model and adapt it to the ventrac hitch... Then you need to convert them 540pto to the ventrac b belt drive at 3600rpm..

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks RD, but that is not as simple as it sounds.
I am able to weld and fairly good with Oxy Acetylene, but poor with Arc and do not have either set up.
Converting the PTO to Belt and gearing is not simple for someone who has not done it before.
I'd like to find one that fit a Steiner (It wold be spectacular if Ventrac would design one)
OR one that could fit the 3 point on the rear and is self powered.

Raw Dodge

Threads
I'm not aware of any making a sickle setup for their steiner or ventrac, so you're going to have to get creative. You might try a local farmer or fabricator who builds there's own stuff.. Either way if your not doing the fabbing it won't be cheap.. As far as gearing there are several 6:1 planetary gearsets available or use a combination of belts and pulleys. Try surpluscenter.com, they have lots of stuff that's handy for building custom attachments.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I'm aware of Surplus Center (was Burden's Surplus)
I seem to remember Steiner having a Sickle bar at one time ( I could be wrong).

I do have the Sickle bar (hedge trimmer) for my Stihl Kombi system and the extensions - it just gets heavy after a while.
I may see if I can adapt that with a gate wheel and adjustable brackets so the Ventrac and wheel handles the weight.

JackIL

Threads
Several years ago some third party in Ohio built and sold a sickle bar mower for Ventrac. See photo. I don't think they are still making it. Mast-Lepley a dealer in Apple Creek, OH, may be able to provide you with more information. mastlepley.com

JackIL

Attachments

• VT Sickle Bar Mower.jpg
    VT Sickle Bar Mower.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 64
Threads
I'd love to have a Sickle Bar mower that will fit the 4231 - It would need to be 6' to 8' to reach close to the pond on the inside of my Dam.
I don't want to spend a small fortune and don't (won't) do ebay or paypal.
Is there anything available for the Ventrac - even if it needs to be self powered ????

If all else fails, you might contact these guys and see if they can fabricate one for you...
Cutthat.com | Sabre Samurai

Threads
Several years ago some third party in Ohio built and sold a sickle bar mower for Ventrac. See photo. I don't think they are still making it. Mast-Lepley a dealer in Apple Creek, OH, may be able to provide you with more information. mastlepley.com

JackIL

That unit is slick...:)

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys,

I think I'll ask my dealer if he can get any info on the older units that might fit both Steiner and Ventrac.
I love my 4231 and would love to have a sicke bar made to fit.

G. McReaper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys,

I think I'll ask my dealer if he can get any info on the older units that might fit both Steiner and Ventrac.
I love my 4231 and would love to have a sicke bar made to fit.

Have you managed to get your hands on one of them sickle-bar mower attachments for the Ventrac?