Shut Down Backfire

Threads
Hello, I recently posted a problem with a Command Kohler CV23S in a John Deere L130. Oil soaked plugs. The advice I got here was awesome and the engine now seems to be fine. I have one last issue, after I mow for a few minutes and put the engine under a load, I shut the tractor off and a couple seconds after it is off I get a backfire from the muffler.

I have read some suggestion to let it idle for 20-30 seconds and that seems to eliminate the backfire sometimes and I have shut the engine off at high RPMs and that has worked every time I tried it. I also changed the solenoid and that did nothing.

Any suggestion?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello, I recently posted a problem with a Command Kohler CV23S in a John Deere L130. Oil soaked plugs. The advice I got here was awesome and the engine now seems to be fine. I have one last issue, after I mow for a few minutes and put the engine under a load, I shut the tractor off and a couple seconds after it is off I get a backfire from the muffler.

I have read some suggestion to let it idle for 20-30 seconds and that seems to eliminate the backfire sometimes and I have shut the engine off at high RPMs and that has worked every time I tried it. I also changed the solenoid and that did nothing.

Any suggestion?
Kohler due to their unique carb flow patterns shuts off the main fuel jet in the carb, but not the idle circuit jet, therefore Kohler recommends shutting off at full throttle. If shut off at idle it will still allow fuel to flow through the idle side of the carb, where it is drawn into the cylinder and out the muffler where it goes bang.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you IL, I never understood why they recommend high speed shut down. This old fart learned something new today.

Threads
Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation and I agree with Rivets, I learned something new as well.

Thanks again, this forum is extremely helpful.