SHRPENING BLADES Is there really a better way?

RaulMcCai

Threads
Yes~!!!
I've done it with flap discs That's a horrid way to go. I hate flap discs.
I've done it on my milling machine. Get good result but the tooling is expensive and the vibration from the thin blade material shortens tool life.
I've done it with a 10" grinding wheel and water drip cooling. That's been my go to method for a while now.
BUT I JUST FELL IN LOVE with PFERD 00010 CC-GRIND-SOLID 7X7/8 SGP STEEL GRINDING DISCS. they make 'em to fit angle grinders too.
Using almost no pressure I bring the disc to the work and it takes the metal down past the chips from stones etc in absolutely no time giving me a ferocious edge.
I mean it is super easy and fast fast fast

- - - - - - - - - - It is so damn fast that you gotta hold back. - - - - - - - - - -

this is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08356S2Q8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They ain't cheap, but unlike flap discs, they last forever. I've sharpened my blades several times and the grinding disc is as good as new.
They are also the best at stripping mill scale off steel
Here is the 4 1/2" diameter w/ 5/8" arbor version https://www.amazon.com/PFERD-61171-...s=pferd+victograin&qid=1625603728&s=hi&sr=1-1

Here is a video showing how blistering fast these things are. Got to 3:50 isf you are in a hurry

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looks like a pretty good product. However, it’s not for me. I would booger up my blades, using it on my 4 1/2” angle grinder. I get good results using a 40 grit flapper wheel.

RaulMcCai

Threads
I would booger up my blades,
There's a guy on the interwebs with a video of a rig he made with no welder that holds his angle grinder at the same angle all the time. Look for that. maybe it'll help

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's a guy on the interwebs with a video of a rig he made with no welder that holds his angle grinder at the same angle all the time. Look for that. maybe it'll help
I saw that. I’m pretty good at sharpening freehand. If I weren’t, I would build me one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's called a hand file. Double cut mill bastard super extreme ultra duty. Total bevel sharpening control.

slomo

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's called a hand file. Double cut mill bastard super extreme ultra duty. Total bevel sharpening control.

slomo
Man, I would be all day sharpening with a file. I used to do it that way when I had a walk behind and one blade to sharpen.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bastard file is way too agressive for sharpening unless you are looking at taking 1/4" off the blade
I use a double cut second cut when I file blades and a single cut 2nd cut for filing saw guide bars.
However I have been using files for over 50 years so have a reasonable feel for them.
I doubt that Joe Average culd even hold one properly let alone use .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Man, I would be all day sharpening with a file. I used to do it that way when I had a walk behind and one blade to sharpen.
Time it with a new fresh file. Compare your time to a hand grinder. AND all the balancing you WILL have to do using a grinder. Or don't balance and destroy spindles and such.

I can hand sharpen a blade in 1-2 minutes with a file. I know hand grinders take 5 times more facebook life wasting minutes easily per blade.

My blades last much much longer using a file. Doesn't over heat the steel making it soft like grinders do. Blades stay sharper a lot longer. Grand Pa did it that way, Dad does it that way and so do I.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bastard file is way too agressive for sharpening
Not on Oregon blades. That is some fairly hard steel. A normal file won't even scratch the steel hardly LOL. Just my experience.

slomo

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@bertsmobile1
I’ve been using files for quite a while too. A double cut works well on mower blades. I just got tired of spending that amount of time sharpening three mower blades at the time. I can work a 4.5” angle grinder really well and get a great edge on blades. A 40 grit flapper wheel does a real nice job.