Shredding belts. Is my retractor arm on backwars?

d2jkxxek

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Shredding belts. Is my retractor arm on backwars?
I have a 2019 Huskee LTD4200 (MTD). A few weeks ago the spring on the retracror arm broke. I ordered a replacement and since then it has been shredding belts.

At first I didn't think anything of it, the one that was on it had been for several years and was already fraying, then I ordered the cheapest one on Amazon, straight from China and it didn't even last one round the yard. That's what I get for being cheap. But when I bought a name brand replacement from Tractor Supply and it had the same result had the same result, I'm wondering what else could be wrong. The only thing I can think as being different is maybe I put the new spring on wrong, but I can't figure any other way it could be. See photo attached.20230904_171151.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with the model and serial number from the tag under the seat. So we can look up your exact model without guessing and check the diagrams.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Never heard of a Huskee LTD4200 but of course I don't see a ton of Huskee brand mowers. As IL said we need the model number from the serial number tag.

But I am pretty sure the connecting link is severely bent as the LH brake is in the wrong place and it is probably what is shredding the belt.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
13AN77SS031/13AN77SS231 (LT4200) (2019)

Well neither 2019 LT4200 shows that spring on the deck. Looks like someone just stuck it on it as it may not even belongs on that deck.
1693918323963.png
1693918529274.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it looks like it is a 2015 deck. I’m thinking the spring will go into the slot on the tensioner arm. If you look closely you will see that that slot is worn. The other end of the spring will be attached to the left hand support, looking at the picture, which will push the brake pads against the pulleys. If the OP can provide us with a second picture, backed out to see more of the deck, it would help us help him. I’ve attached a 2015 deck diagram which may help. https://apps.mtdproducts.com/manuals/769-10466.pdf

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it is probably the same deck design as what I posted. The spring is item 24 on that diagram but it definitely don't go where the op has it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree, that’s why I wanted a bigger picture. Definitely not a 2019 deck. Good possibility that the deck is not original to the tractor. Once again the OP has to realize that if we were standing next to him the problem would be solved in 5 minutes, but it will take 5 days because we can’t see what he sees.

d2jkxxek

Forum Newbie
Threads
the deck is not original it was replaced a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 20230904_192411.jpg
    20230904_192411.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 5

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wish you would have said that in your first post. It would have saved us a lot of time trying to figure out what you have. Each of the techs on this forum have worked on hundreds of deck models and trying to figure out what you have with faulty info takes up our time and we start guessing, which we hate to do. Then the model number you posted means nothing. You must realize we can only help you if you provide us with all information you have, not just bits and pieces. You will need to provide us with pictures to all parts of the deck. That is the only way we can best help you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A belt shreds when it is running against some thing that it should not .
On decks then most of the time it is because the belt is on the wrong side of a belt keeper or even a brake ( on manual PTOs )