Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?

Should ZTR owners be fined if the ROPS is missing?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 63 94.0%

• Total voters

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?
jekjr,
I started the other thread but not this poll and the OP of this poll did NOT specifically target "commercial operators". Initially, I did in my thread, because the news story that got me thinking about this was indeed a commercial operator fatality. To an extent I agree with you(in regards to the manufacturers and dealers providing homeowners the necessary safety equpment and operating guidlines when a homeowner insists they want a "Commercial ZTR) that the same rule should apply across the board. But if I buy a Commercial ZTR(which I did), the manufacturer provides the ROPS and seat belt and the selling dealer ensures that I have been "educated" to the dangers and how to properly use the safety equipment that pretty well makes my wife only able to sue me if I kill myself on it and did not heed the advice I received when I bought it. On the other hand, a commercial operator brings a second party(the homeowner) into the mix and indeed the operators wife could include that homeowner into a lawsuit for requiring the ZTR operatior to mow that great big steep ditch. Aren't those two scenarios a little different???? I mean you do have a liability insurance policy for your business....right? If I don't have a life insurance policy(and don't really know if the insurance company would protest a death benefit payment for a ZTR accident) that's my bad. But if you destroy a customer's property or there is a operator casualty on a customer's property that's your bad(or liability).....right? Really, couldn't some legislation/restriction/enforcement in the long haul would actually "protect" the Lawn Care Maintenance business owner....not "punish him". Just trying to sort out all of the underlying what if's and pros/cons to a sensitive topic.

Like I have said in several places. Please find something else to start a grass roots movement on. We do not need any new laws concerning anything. There are more than enough laws on the books in this country to more than take care of any situation you might encounter. We need no more rules, regulations, fees, taxes, or licenses, or anything else concerning anything to do with any type of business on this country. We do not need any people trying to justify us needing anymore nor openly discussing them where some politician can over hear and come up with an idea for any more.

X-man

Threads
Damn.:confused2:

Drink, anyone?:drink:

Threads
I voted yes, specifically on the premise of "liability" and "protective" measures that I feel are in the best interest of a professional lawn care maintenance worker, their family, the owner/license holder(if applicable) and would include mandantory wearing of the seat belt. Now do I want a police officer to observe me(or you) mowing our personal property without the same enforcement.....that's a hard one(I am answerable only to myself and family....NOT a paying customer that my wife could sue, along with my boss). And, I believe a dealership(and manufacturer) has some accountability if a ZTR is "sold as" a commercial ZTR(or in the case of my Gravely has "Commercial" plastered across the front of it). I understand the ramifications(cost-wise for equipment) this puts on start-up commercial individuals, but like most enforceable "laws" many end up as being forced to comply with that business' regulations(debateably whether in their best interest). They already have to adhere to DOT regulations regarding the trailering requirements of their equipment(mandantory tie-down, GVWR specs of trailer, etc.). Many will despise me for even bringing this up(yes, I am the OP of the thread mentioned by X-man) but IMHO this is the "elephant in the room" to quote therapy notations of a problem being "ignored" rather than confronted that forums like this just do NOT want to talk about. I knew it would stir up a hornet's nest.....Sorry:0(

I really dont see why they would want to especially if its the fold back/ break away style? I think they look better with them on there too, and might save your life sometime as well.

Parkmower

Threads
Like I have said in several places. Please find something else to start a grass roots movement on. We do not need any new laws concerning anything. There are more than enough laws on the books in this country to more than take care of any situation you might encounter. We need no more rules, regulations, fees, taxes, or licenses, or anything else concerning anything to do with any type of business on this country. We do not need any people trying to justify us needing anymore nor openly discussing them where some politician can over hear and come up with an idea for any more.

I agree. I think you guys need bigger lawns. So you spend more time on the mower seat and less time in the recliner being a armchair lawmaker.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree. I think you guys need bigger lawns. So you spend more time on the mower seat and less time in the recliner being a armchair lawmaker.

Parkmower,
As long as you, user jekjr and others that think I was so out of line to start the thread that prompted this poll(yeah, I realize the "No" votes outnumber the "Yes" votes 17 to 1) could(with a clear consciense) say everything you have responded with on these forums directly to the widow of the Middle TN lawn maintenance operator that died recently when his JD ZTR turned over on him; then I will ask the moderator to delete my original thread(see below).

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...professional-lawn-maintenance-businesses.html

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parkmower,
As long as you, user jekjr and others that think I was so out of line to start the thread that prompted this poll(yeah, I realize the "No" votes outnumber the "Yes" votes 17 to 1) could(with a clear consciense) say everything you have responded with on these forums directly to the widow of the Middle TN lawn maintenance operator that died recently when his JD ZTR turned over on him; then I will ask the moderator to delete my original thread(see below).

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...professional-lawn-maintenance-businesses.html

I run a zero turn several days a week. I put them in some god awful places at times. I hope and pray that I never get hurt or killed on one nor hurt nor kill anybody else. However if I do get hurt or killed on one tomorrow, I hope nobody reads about it and tries to get another law passed concerning them or anything else. We have more than enough laws already.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I guess all of the hoopla that the OP that started this poll based upon my "Laws Governing Professional Lawn Maintenance Businesses" thread, has somewhat settled down and I have pretty well been convinced that no laws or restrictions would be beneficial in "saving lives". However, as noted below with the picture file I copied from the Toro site I can only recommend to any users that read(or have previously commented in) this thread....to be safe whenever mowing on their ZTR:0)

P.S.
Click on the attached thumbnail for the full effect:0)

Attachments

• Toro ZTR Safety.jpg
    Toro ZTR Safety.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 12

X-man

Threads
Well I guess all of the hoopla that the OP that started this poll based upon my "Laws Governing Professional Lawn Maintenance Businesses" thread, has somewhat settled down and I have pretty well been convinced that no laws or restrictions would be beneficial in "saving lives". However, as noted below with the picture file I copied from the Toro site I can only recommend to any users that read(or have previously commented in) this thread....to be safe whenever mowing on their ZTR:0)

P.S.
Click on the attached thumbnail for the full effect:0)

Glad to see all the BS has cooled off in my thread:tongue:

Long story short, have your ROPS up when you're on hilly land. If you only mow on flat land then what's the point?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to see all the BS has cooled off in my thread:tongue:

Long story short, have your ROPS up when you're on hilly land. If you only mow on flat land then what's the point?

Well, I guess to sum up your poll...the Yes vote(me) and the No votes were similar to the Romney versus Obama election:0)
I lost by a landslide!!!!
P.S.
Hey.....BTW, you really don't have to "own a ZTR" to vote...right???? So it sounds like you could have made it Yes(2) to No(19).....but still a landslide:0)

X-man

Threads
Well, I guess to sum up your poll...the Yes vote(me) and the No votes were similar to the Romney versus Obama election:0)
I lost by a landslide!!!!
P.S.
Hey.....BTW, you really don't have to "own a ZTR" to vote...right???? So it sounds like you could have made it Yes(2) to No(19).....but still a landslide:0)

Ehh, don't get me started with politics. That last election pissed me right off.

I voted, and I don't own a ZTR, just my '97 Craftsman:tongue: