Should I stick w/Dixon?

vjrockman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a used Dixon ZTR 3362 that I am debating getting rid of. I've recently replaced one of the drive sprockets, but I think the problem is with the adjustment of the cones. I have little power or grip when I push the left handle forward, and I can hear what sounds like the chain slipping over the bracket. I did get a new chain with the new sprocket, but it seems a bit loose to me. My father-in-law spoke with a local Dixon dealer who confided that the cone system is not easy or fun to work on. Is it worth paying to get the cones adjusted? I may not have the time or competence to do it myself. It still runs well (we actually replaced both the motor and the starter) so I would likely try to sell it for a couple hundred. Does this seem reasonable? And if I do sell it, with what do I replace it? I realized this is a Dixon forum, but for a non-picky lawn guy who simply wants to keep the grass short, what would be recommended? I have an open mind.

Thanks for any input.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Working on the Dixon cones is something I always dread doing in the shop and I definitely would say do not attempt to do it yourself. Replacing a unit is always hard and you will get lots of advice as to which is the best. As members will tell you I'm a Toro guy and recommend that you give them a close look, if you do decide to replace. Unless you want to spend more than $2500 I feel they will give you the best bang for the buck and you will enjoy using it for many years down the road.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As Rivets said, adjusting cones on a Dixon is a Pain... but can be done... With a new engine it is certainly worth more than a "couple hundred"...
I'd adjust the cones, Or get them adjusted and then sell it (next spring) use it the rest of this season, and watch for close of season sales this fall on Toro ... you would have 2 mowers over the winter, but a working Dixon should sell easily next spring... :smile:KennyV