Should I replace this cylinder head?

EatPreyMow

Threads
This is a 656cc Briggs 40 Intek V-Twin engine that I'm repairing for a friend. He's been running it for years loaded with mouse nests and they had chewed through the spark plug wire to cylinder #1. Mouse urine has dissolved a good portion of the topside cooling fins.

He really needs this soon and is hesitant to put money into it. If this were mine I would replace the cylinder head but he doesn't mow much area with it, maybe 1/3rd acre. Even if there’s enough cooling capacity I’m worried the aluminum has weakened too much.

Should I roll the dice or pony up the cash for a used head?

IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My biggest concern would be valve guide locations and have they migrated due to heat. The corrosion on the surface may of caused some damaged, but nothing to loose in running it if the guides are fine.

EatPreyMow

Threads
My biggest concern would be valve guide locations and have they migrated due to heat. The corrosion on the surface may of caused some damaged, but nothing to loose in running it if the guides are fine.

Great, I'll check the valve guides tomorrow morning. Is it enough to just pull the valve covers and check for how proud the guide stands of the head surface?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@EatPreyMow It is that easy. Make sure the guides haven't walked out. They should be the same height between both valves. No guarantee that they won't walk later but if they are fine now just run it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the fins are gone, I would replace. These are air cooled engines. They get to full steam in under 2 minutes. No need to measure valve guides. Keep running it and you will have guide issues, valve seats popping out and so on.

slomo

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a 656cc Briggs 40 Intek V-Twin engine that I'm repairing for a friend. He's been running it for years loaded with mouse nests and they had chewed through the spark plug wire to cylinder #1. Mouse urine has dissolved a good portion of the topside cooling fins.

He really needs this soon and is hesitant to put money into it. If this were mine I would replace the cylinder head but he doesn't mow much area with it, maybe 1/3rd acre. Even if there’s enough cooling capacity I’m worried the aluminum has weakened too much.

Should I roll the dice or pony up the cash for a used head?

View attachment 56716View attachment 56717View attachment 56718

View attachment 56715
If it was mine I would run it till it gives trouble, but seeing it is a customer it would be the owner's responsibility as to what to do.

EatPreyMow

Threads
I finally found a cheap used cylinder head to replace the bad one. I just fix these as a hobby and this was for a friend, so I didn't want him to have to haul it back over to my place. Total cost for the used head and a new gasket? $51 with tax and shipping. Tolerances on the new used head were better than on the original head.

He will now keep it in his garage rather than storing it in his horse barn.

IMG_0151.jpg