Should I buy it?

grass cutter

Threads
Hey, a guy near me has a old echo weed eater that's about 30 yrs old. He says it has a leaking carb. Would it be worth it to buy it. Also, what could be wrong with it? Thanks.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey, a guy near me has a old echo weed eater that's about 30 yrs old. He says it has a leaking carb. Would it be worth it to buy it. Also, what could be wrong with it? Thanks.

:confused2::confused2:

How the BLEEP do you expect us to advise you when we have no idea what the price is? If it's a dollar, grab it. If it's fifty dollars, don't buy it.

JEEZ....:eek:....just when I think the questions posted here cannot get more inane...well, when it's THIRTY FRICKING YEARS OLD THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT CAN BE WRONG WITH IT....

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Now that I blew off some steam, why do you want to buy an antique when you can buy a brand new Weed Eater for $65???? The carb on that old one is leaking because the float is stuck or the gaskets are hardened and brittle, or the fuel line is cracked, or one of many other reasons. It would be next to impossible to get parts at any price, unless you have a sentimental attachment to 30 year old gadgets BUY A NEW ONE.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
id pass on it unless its a "love" thing....you can pick up newer weed eaters right and left for $50-60 that you can still get parts for

AndySKane

Threads
Did you look at it, does it run, and was the carb leak obvious? Could be something real simple but I guess it also depends on how handy you are. I have a near 30 year old Homelite line trimmer which I still use, but I bought it new. I replaced the primer bulb and the fuel lines several years ago. Both times it leaked like crazy but the fix was cheap and easy.

Evaluate the item and see what's wrong with it. If you don't think you can fix it or you don't want to blow $30, then don't buy it. New Echos and Stihls are several hundred dollars to start. Good line trimmers from the 80s were very dependable.