Export thread

Should I buy Commercial or a Homeowner mower for 4+ Acres

F

Fallcreek

I have lake front property that currently has just less than 4 acres of grass used for recreation like activities. The areas are divided into 2 zones for cutting. The 1st area is around 2000 feet long by 100 feet wide with a slight 3% slope towards the water. The second area is around multiple structures and trees, yet mostly flat. Once fully developed I could have up to 6+ acres of grass area. I have looked JD front deck mowers and our local dealer is recommending the Z 465. I would prefer a mower that can perform multiple functions, but is that really necessary, and will a Z Turn be just fine. I do not have an issue with buying a used mower too. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a commercial front deck or just a Z Turn. I don稚 want to buy too much mower for the job, but I also don稚 want to buy a mower that is too small. Thanks for the help.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Of course you would be better off with a commercial mower. Made to last for years with a good maintenance program. Unless you are the type of person that wants a new mower every few years. You are the person that knows the size of your wallet. If you are going commercial check out the Ferris because they have different style mowers and maybe something more for your needs. A commercial mower is a big investment so spend some looking time. Sears sells a riding mower less then 1000 dollars and a commercial mower is closer to 10,000 dollars.

Parkmower

Parkmower

If you want the grass mowed fast you want a ZT. A commercial ZT could pull a cart and maybe a roller or aerator. Some even have snow removal attachments. It all depends on how much your planning on spending.

Ric

Ric

Of course you would be better off with a commercial mower. Made to last for years with a good maintenance program. Unless you are the type of person that wants a new mower every few years. You are the person that knows the size of your wallet. If you are going commercial check out the Ferris because they have different style mowers and maybe something more for your needs. A commercial mower is a big investment so spend some looking time. Sears sells a riding mower less then 1000 dollars and a commercial mower is closer to 10,000 dollars.

Yes you would be better off with a commercial mower, and with a maintenance program it will last for years. A commercial mower doesn't have to be a big investment, you can buy a commercial ZTR for around 5000 dollars, half the price previously stated unless you want to buy and pay for a name. Most any 48" or larger deck will handle the area and what you describe. You could also go with a good High End residential unit and have the same results and it would last as long as a commercial if you take care of and preform the maintenance that's required.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Yes you would be better off with a commercial mower, and with a maintenance program it will last for years. A commercial mower doesn't have to be a big investment, you can buy a commercial ZTR for around 5000 dollars, half the price previously stated unless you want to buy and pay for a name. Most any 48" or larger deck will handle the area and what you describe. You could also go with a good High End residential unit and have the same results and it would last as long as a commercial if you take care of and preform the maintenance that's required.

I haven't really shoped for commercial mower so I don't know prices. When I bought my commercial Ferris 13 years ago it was a little over 8000 and the last time I priced one it was over 10,000. This is where I was getting the 10,000 dollar price from. I really think you will find you get what you pay for and yes maybe name has a little to do with it but not 5000 dollars.

K

KennyV

Like has been said... The more you can spend will definitely have a bearing on the quality of the machine you get...
There are many levels of quality within the various 'grades' of equipment...
My main mower is an industrial grade Diesel ZTR, I don't Need that much machine, but I know it will last ME forever, I will Never need anything larger... It's enough to handle Anything I might set out to do with it... I have various attachments for it... I can mow my lawn Or my over 10 acres with it, can blow deep snow, and anything else, in clean comfort, full cab...

As to cost... How often do you plan on replacing a mower... Or maybe a better question ... How often do You Want to replace a mower?
My mower is over 10 years old... I know it will do every thing I have done with it for another 50 years plus... I won't last that long, when I bought it I was looking to get a ZT that I would Never have to replace.

The Best Industrial mower will cost over $25k... The Best Commercial over $10k the Best Residential over $5k.... and the best consumer grade over $1.5k
It all depends on how often do you Want to replace it...
What all Might you want to do with it...
How much $$ do you want to spend for it...

Look at Good Used equipment and get all the attachments you can imagine you'll ever want.... buy the best (or at least something built with the best components) You can't spend too much for a good ZTR... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

I haven't really shopped for commercial mower so I don't know prices. When I bought my commercial Ferris 13 years ago it was a little over 8000 and the last time I priced one it was over 10,000. This is where I was getting the 10,000 dollar price from. I really think you will find you get what you pay for and yes maybe name has a little to do with it but not 5000 dollars.

Humm, Lets see shouldn't that be you get what you're stupid enough to pay for??

I Kinda look at buying mowers like buying coffee, you can buy Kopi Luwak for like $80 per lb or you can buy Folgers or Maxwell House for 3.95 per lb and guess what when there made they both come out black and can you actually taste any difference, especially when you screw them both up with cream and sugar. :rolleyes:

I look at mowers the same way, you can go out and buy a ZTR and spend 10 or 12K, buy the Name, buy the Gimmicks, and the bragging rights or spend 4 to 5k on a good commercial ZTR and in the end guess what? they both just cut grass.:rolleyes:

K

KennyV

I Love coffee... I Never add anything to it... don't care for any 'flavored' coffees.
I can tell the difference between average & Great coffee...
You can buy folgers by the pound at a reasonable price... OR the same folgers in k-cups, at over $85 a pound.

You can mow grass with a $2500 ZTR or a $35,000 ZTR... & you Will notice the difference, that is Not to say that you will Need to spend that much, just to mow the grass, only that there will be differences in them... and I am not talking about the #of cup holders.

The type of mower you use should be the one that your happiest with... :smile:KennyV

Parkmower

Parkmower

KennyV said:
I Love coffee... I Never add anything to it... don't care for any 'flavored' coffees.
I can tell the difference between average & Great coffee...

The type of mower you use should be the one that your happiest with... :smile:KennyV

I agree.
I am a fan of commercial mowers. I've ran them for 15 yrs. They are built the toughest.
I also run a homeowner mower. It does its job well.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I Kinda look at buying mowers like buying coffee, you can buy Kopi Luwak for like $80 per lb or you can buy Folgers or Maxwell House for 3.95 per lb and guess what when there made they both come out black and can you actually taste any difference, especially when you screw them both up with cream and sugar. :rolleyes:

I look at mowers the same way, you can go out and buy a ZTR and spend 10 or 12K, buy the Name, buy the Gimmicks, and the bragging rights or spend 4 to 5k on a good commercial ZTR and in the end guess what? they both just cut grass.:rolleyes:

I really don't care what anyone buys for a mower and really not here to be called stupid. Go buy what ever you want and leave me out of it because I could care less. I am not bragging to anyone and not on this forum to disagree only to help. I drink Folgers coffee if you want to know.

Ric

Ric

I really don't care what anyone buys for a mower and really not here to be called stupid. Go buy what ever you want and leave me out of it because I could care less. I am not bragging to anyone and not on this forum to disagree only to help. I drink Folgers coffee if you want to know.

Well to begin with nobody called anybody stupid and I surely didn't say you were bragging, I simply rephrased the saying You get what you pay for. The point I was trying to make is that to many people pay for things that they have no use for. A mower is a mower is a mower, the end result is they all cut grass the same way. Buying a mower should be based on How and What you're going to be using it for, not gimmicks and bells and whistles that amount to extra cost and that have no functionality.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

Nice thing about coffee is a pound only lasts a week or so around here, so you're only out a few dollars and can try a differant brand next week. A mower should be a long term investment and besides price there is feel and convenience. What I like and am comfortable using may not suit you. Easy to perform maintenance makes it more likely that the maintenance will be done, but again some people are sticklers for maintenance and will overcome small obstacles, some won't. In the end, it's your money and your decision. Shop carefully. It took me six months to buy my last mower and I haven't regretted it.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Mmm coffee

I

ibbuckshot

It always pays to do your homework. It also depends on how much you can afford, what is available- don't forget parts on down the road. Quality - Quality- Quality. A lot like buying real estate - location-location - location. We only have 2.5 flat acres with trees. After 40 years of great Wheel Horse quality I updated to a Z turn Scag Wildcat 60 inch cut with a 27 hp Kohler. Buying this as an investment has cut my mowing time in half. There for the machine will have one half the working hours over what I use to have with the Wheel Horse. I like the Scag very much. Have had it for about six years. Aside from grease, oil and filters I have not had to buy anything except for the battery I am about to replace in about an hour. Good luck - hope this helps.
Have Fun,:cool:
buckshot

K

KennyV

lawnhero take your spam back to that site....

F

Fracture

Hi everyone,
I have a similar mowing scenario, ~5 rolling acres, and not happy w/ my 54" big box version "JD" mower. If one was willing to go for the $5K, where could one do reliable research without having to drive to all the dealers. I'm somewhat rural and don't want to spend several days driving to dealers just to figure out what's available (features/price/etc.) and that wouldn't get me the users experience either. If I could at least pare it down to 2 (or 3) dealers to get 'hands on', that would be a GIANT help.

Thanx,
gino

Willyvon

Willyvon

On the off chance you decide to go with a homeowner mower( with that many acres I really can't imagine why) here's a quiet ultimately simple option. Were I in the market for a new mower to replace my 7 y/o Neuton EM-4.1 (direct ancestor to their CE 5.4) to mow my 60' x 120' lot, I'd probably get theirs shown in the 2nd link. I mean, simpler is almost always more reliable, right? How much simpler is battery electric than internal combustion power?
Recharge Mower - Recharge Mower G2 Riding Mower
Recharge Mower - Recharege Ultralite Push Mower

reynoldston

reynoldston

Hi everyone,
I have a similar mowing scenario, ~5 rolling acres, and not happy w/ my 54" big box version "JD" mower. If one was willing to go for the $5K, where could one do reliable research without having to drive to all the dealers. I'm somewhat rural and don't want to spend several days driving to dealers just to figure out what's available (features/price/etc.) and that wouldn't get me the users experience either. If I could at least pare it down to 2 (or 3) dealers to get 'hands on', that would be a GIANT help.

Thanx,
gino

I see in a earlier post by Ric on this trend a ZTR rider for 5000 dollars. Don't know the brand or size. My advice for that kind of money do your research and check the dealers. I know it is a pain to do but you sure don't want to end up with another mower you don't like. Seeing you have a mower you should be able to take your time looking. Also a good place to look at them is a little later in the summer if they have any farm or home owner shows around by you. Who knows maybe you will put another 5000 dollars with the first 5000 and get a Ferris.

H

honestblades

Always buy a commercial grade mower to do large properties. I learned this a few years ago. I purchased a brand new top of the line craftsman riding mower from sears and used it to cut 5.6 acres once a week. When I got halfway through the second cut the motor was already burning oil. Corporate America is greedy.... that's why they build cheap residential mowers that break quickly,because they know that you will either keep forking out $1500 to replace a rider,or else you will go all out and drop alot of money on a commercial grade mower.

I see people on here posting about commercial mowers costing $10,000 and up. While this is true,that doesn't mean that they all cost that much. Heck,you can buy a new kubota with a diesel engine for $10-12k.
Four years ago I purchased a bobcat commercial grade 48" mower new. I paid $5600 plus tax for it. The price on them has now gone up,however you can still pick one up for around $6500. I picked the bobcat for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons is the fact that it has about the thickest deck and chassis that I have ever seen (just like a kubota). The second reason was the warranty. Bobcat gives you two different warranty options. You can choose either a 5 year 500 hour warranty,or a two year 2000 hour warranty. The bobcats have kawasaki motors of them (not my favorite now) but it cuts grass. With only 18 hours on it it was burning oil due to a vent of some sort missing from inside the engine (factory error) I had to fight on the phone with kawasaki and the dealer for a year and a half or so,and finally they put a new engine on it 3 days before the original warranty expired. It runs great now. It's a well built mower that is durable,and it costs less than the others. Also I have noticed that during the fall,my local dealer sells demo models with 20 hours or so on them for around $3500 WITH a warranty.... so keep that in mind.

Willyvon

Willyvon

On the off chance you decide to go with a homeowner mower( with that many acres I really can't imagine why) here's a quiet ultimately simple option. Were I in the market for a new mower to replace my 7 y/o Neuton EM-4.1 (direct ancestor to their CE 5.4) to mow my 60' x 120' lot, I'd probably get theirs shown in the 2nd link. I mean, simpler is almost always more reliable, right? How much simpler is battery electric than internal combustion power?
Recharge Mower - Recharge Mower G2 Riding Mower
Recharge Mower - Recharege Ultralite Push Mower

Better yet, let most of it grow in taller grasses, thereby providing support for more life and security for the shoreline with it's way deeper root systems. Periodically get some serious physical/ aerobic and quiet mental conditioning by mowing the taller stuff with this. Mow the classically groomed shorter stuff with the Rechargemower rider.
Oh, and for the shorter stuff get the grass seed listed also. It grows slower, uses way less fertilizer and water(probably due to 4'-6' deep roots). I've been using it exclusively for my Chicago area suburban lawn for over a decade. I watered once all year in most of the last 5-6 years. The price of all grass seed has risen to where it's price is no longer a premium at just a few $ more than even cheap seed. It bears a root dwelling fungus (endophyte) that infuses a substance into the plant, concentrating at soil level that kills plant eating insects and grubs. Not for grazing animals. It can make them sick. The neighborhood rabbits no longer feed on my lawn.They've learned better. I'm < 400 yds from Cook County Forrest Preserves.

Traditional Austrian Scythe - Lee Valley Tools

Turf Alive! Grass Seed Mixtures

K

KennyV

I have been an electric power proponent for some time...
I would Never consider electric for "5 rolling acres"...
If you can, get a Diesel powered mower. Get the best you can afford, You will not be replacing it for decades If you buy enough mower.

There are good battery powered riders available, Hustler has an exceptional electric ZTR...
Hustler Turf Products - Electric Mowers - ZEON
But no one would recommend it for 5 acres...

There are a Lot of Great internal combustion powered Tractors & Z's that will keep your 5 acres clipped and looking great... Good Used industrial or commercial equipment is worth looking into...
Happy Mowing. :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

reynoldston

The person that started this thread wants a mower for 6 acres of lake front property. Where I live a person that owns 6 acres of lake front property can well afford a 10,000 dollar + commercial mower. I don't think I could even afford the taxes on a peace of property like that. They should get the best because it will last them forever. Fracture on the other hand was looking for a 5000 dollar mower. I may be wrong but isn't that on the low side for the cost of a commercial mower and I would make a bet you wouldn't touch a new diesel for that or are prices a lot higher where I live?

K

KennyV

Your right...
$5k isn't going to find a New diesel worth having ... But if your patient and do not have to find it in a short while, you can find Good Used equipment... That will last & will be worth repairing as the decades roll by...

Using light weight or even mid grade equipment on large jobs that are going to continue year after year... just makes no sense to me.. There are a lot of folks that try to do it but they will spend more over the years replacing... should go for the best they can justify spending to start with... Used or New... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

I see in a earlier post by Ric on this trend a ZTR rider for 5000 dollars. Don't know the brand or size. My advice for that kind of money do your research and check the dealers. I know it is a pain to do but you sure don't want to end up with another mower you don't like. Seeing you have a mower you should be able to take your time looking. Also a good place to look at them is a little later in the summer if they have any farm or home owner shows around by you. Who knows maybe you will put another 5000 dollars with the first 5000 and get a Ferris.

Yes you can spend 4 to 5k on a good commercial or pro performance ZTR and that's the point, why pay more for a mower with all these bells and whistles when all they do is cut grass.
I guess one could say gee I got chrome wheels on my mower, only cost me 2k extra? I've got a scoop over the top of my engine, makes it look fast :thumbsup: and only cost this much extra? and the list goes on and on. :thumbdown: Now do all the extras help your mower mow lawns better, I think not, but you can sure look cool doing it.:laughing: As my Dad would say, ( a fool and his money are soon parted)

Buying a mower is a lot like buying a car, the more crap you add the more it cost and 99% of the stuff never gets used and it all amounts to a fart in a whirlwind. People really should be name and color blind when buying a mower as someone else said.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Come on Ric I don't see the name or size of this commercial mower for 4000 dollars? No chrome or hood scoops on the commercial mower that I am talking about. They put that type of thing on the cheap mowers so they sell. I am talking about a mower that gets used every day and gets over a 1000 hrs a year. I don't go around and price mower because I don't have a reason to, and last summer a striped down Ferris ran close to the 10,000 dollar mark at a farm show I went to. The only thing this mower was made for was a person making a living mowing and sure not to impress anyone. This was for a three wheel 61 in. hydro drive rider commercial Ferris mower. You are out there pricing mowers and know a lot more then I do on this?? OK where are you getting your prices and for what?? You are not giving any facts but ZTR??

Ric

Ric

Name is what I'm talking about, what's in a name besides price. Lets take the Scag 36" WB vs the Cub Cadet 36" WB, Both commercial, both run the Kawasaki Motors, both run the same Peerless drives, they have the same pulleys, they even have the same gas tanks and you pay anywhere from $800 to $1000 difference in price for the Scag, WHY? NAME.
You can do the same thing or make the same comparison with Ztr's.

Check the Spec's on this mower, it's a Commercial or Pro Performance mower and cost $4199 The Kohler is a commercial grade motor.

ENGINE
Engine Type 22 HP* Kohler Courager V-Twin, 725cc
Engine Fuel Gas
Ignition Transistor controlled
Lubrication/Filter Full pressure w/spin-on oil filter
Cooling System Air
Air Cleaner Replaceable/dual element
Alternator/Battery 12V-15 amp. regulated/275 cca
Wiring Automotive-style
Fuel Capacity/Pod Single 4.25-gallon tank
DRIVE SYSTEM
Transmission Dual Hydro-Gear&trade ZT-2800 w/oil reservoir and filter
Hydraulic Fluid Capacity 5.0 qt. (2.5 qt. per side including filter) including expansion tank
Hydraulic Oil Filter Standard
Braking/Parking Brake Mechanical lever
STEERING
Controls 3-way adjustable lap bars
Lap Bar Dampers Standard
Caster Wheel Pivot Bearings Composite bushing
Front Axle Pivoting, steel
CHASSIS
Frame Fully welded steel 1.5" x 2.0" tubular section
TIRES
Front Tire Size 13" x 5.0" - 6.0" (rib)
Rear Tire Size 20" x 8" - 10" (turf)
DIMENSIONS
Weight (approx.) 722 lbs.
MOWER & DECK DESIGN
Safety Operator presence
Deck Size 48"
Deck Blades Triple
Deck Construction 11-gauge fabricated deck, w/7-gauge reinforced top plate
Deck Style/System Floating
Deck Drive Belt driven, Kevlar
Deck Wash Patented SmartJet high-pressure deck washing system
Deck Lift Foot-pedal, spring assisted
Deck Height Adjustment 1.0" - 4.0" (in .25" increments)
Blade Spindle Construction Cast aluminum with tapered roller bearings
Greasable Spindle Bearings Standard
Blade Length 17"
Blade Brake Clutch Ogura GT-1
Front Anti-Scalping Roller Adjustable nose roller and 2 greasable anti-scalp wheels
Rear Anti-Scalping Rollers/Striper 4 striping
Deck PTO Electronic fingertip engagement
ADDITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS
Monitor/Hour Meter Standard
Seat Type/Arm Rest High-back w/arm rests and gel suspension
Rear Hitch Optional
Front Platform Design Extruded steel

reynoldston

reynoldston

Without physically going out and looking at them it's something that I can't give any fair answers on. But just looking on the net you can buy a cub and a Ferris both ZT61in cut commercial mowers for around the same price of 7000 dollars. A new three wheel Ferris mower I was talking about goes for 9000 on E-bay. That is less then at the farm show price. I also see the Z model cub for a little over 4000 dollars. Like I said I am not out pricing mower so I am a very poor person to give advice on prices. This pass summer I went with my neighbor who was looking for a new mower and found that from dealer to dealer prices can change for what different dealers will discount for.

Ric

Ric

Without physically going out and looking at them it's something that I can't give any fair answers on. But just looking on the net you can buy a cub and a Ferris both ZT61in cut commercial mowers for around the same price of 7000 dollars. A new three wheel Ferris mower I was talking about goes for 9000 on E-bay. That is less then at the farm show price. I also see the Z model cub for a little over 4000 dollars. Like I said I am not out pricing mower so I am a very poor person to give advice on prices. This pass summer I went with my neighbor who was looking for a new mower and found that from dealer to dealer prices can change for what different dealers will discount for.

The Z force 48 is $4199 and is sold as a pro performance. I just came from the CC shop and I can buy the Tank for $5999 out the door and that's about as commercial as you can get and either one of those Cubs will last you a lifetime.
That's my point, you don't have to spend 10 to 14K to have a good mower. Just stay away from the names, gimmicks like ours runs 18mph or ours has shocks and rides like a caddy and bells and whistles they all come with and get back to the basics of what you're trying to do and that's mow lawns.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have a small repair shop that I get a lot of differant brand and type equment to work on. For some reason I work on a lot of John Deeres and Wheel horses because I think a lot of them have been sold aroud my me. I only have one customer with a Cub Cadet. The outfit looks to be built as good as any non-commerical mower. The biggest problim he has with his cub is breaking off the mower deck wheels.

K

KennyV

The question of how much mower to buy is likely always going to be around...
The low end mowers have the meaningless extras... those things are aimed at the consumer who will not take the time to find out what the difference is between a lawn mower and a garden tractor is...

A commercial or industrial grade mower will also be vastly different than a consumer residential grade..

The simplest answer to the post question is: buy the Most mower you can afford or justify... You will not be able to buy a machine that is too Good. It is very easy to buy one that is Not good enough.
This all goes back to the question, How long do you expect your mower to last...
There are some out there that will last more than the purchasers lifetime.
I don't mind working on my own equipment. I would rather do any repair than have just anyone at a dealers shop tinker with it... Even during a 'warranty period'... I know how much I want things done right & I have seen how motivated service managers are to do things.
I look for the Best equipment, It is generally going to last longer & be easier to service and repair...

Once you get past engine type & make, Drive system and suspension... the Type and Thickness of steel, Quality of welding and fabrication of components... There will be differences..

A simpler way to look at it...
Do you see having the mower you are buying today still doing what you want in 10 years? 15 or 20 ?
I have a Lawn Tractor that I got in the early 70's... Still able to do everything it did new, it's near 40 years old.
My ZTR is 14 years old now... I know it will still be able to do everything it does today after Another 14 years...
There are a lot of brands to choose from... Many good mowers.. How Long do you Want to keep the one you are going to buy? :smile:KennyV

Parkmower

Parkmower

reynoldston said:
I am talking about a mower that gets used every day and gets over a 1000 hrs a year.

Does anyone really put that many hours a year on a machine?
I mow alot for Atleast 5-6 months a year and I know I don't come close to 1000 hrs.
Only place I could see it is a golf course.

Kenny, just out of curiosity, how many hrs does your 14 year old ZT have?

Parkmower

Parkmower

Ric said:
why pay more for a mower with all these bells and whistles when all they do is cut grass.
said.

never underestimate the seat. I've learned that over the years. A good seat can make mowing a dreamy experience. A bad seat can make mowing a chore you hate.

K

KennyV

e.

Kenny, just out of curiosity, how many hrs does your 14 year old ZT have?

Ha ha...
Just closing in on the first 1000 hrs...
I think its around 950... I'll have to check next time I'm near it... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

The question of how much mower to buy is likely always going to be around...
The low end mowers have the meaningless extras... those things are aimed at the consumer who will not take the time to find out what the difference is between a lawn mower and a garden tractor is...

A commercial or industrial grade mower will also be vastly different than a consumer residential grade..

The simplest answer to the post question is: buy the Most mower you can afford or justify... You will not be able to buy a machine that is too Good. It is very easy to buy one that is Not good enough.
This all goes back to the question, How long do you expect your mower to last...
There are some out there that will last more than the purchasers lifetime.
I don't mind working on my own equipment. I would rather do any repair than have just anyone at a dealers shop tinker with it... Even during a 'warranty period'... I know how much I want things done right & I have seen how motivated service managers are to do things.
I look for the Best equipment, It is generally going to last longer & be easier to service and repair...

Once you get past engine type & make, Drive system and suspension... the Type and Thickness of steel, Quality of welding and fabrication of components... There will be differences..

A simpler way to look at it...
Do you see having the mower you are buying today still doing what you want in 10 years? 15 or 20 ?
I have a Lawn Tractor that I got in the early 70's... Still able to do everything it did new, it's near 40 years old.
My ZTR is 14 years old now... I know it will still be able to do everything it does today after Another 14 years...
There are a lot of brands to choose from... Many good mowers.. How Long do you Want to keep the one you are going to buy? :smile:KennyV

Kenny what you say about buying a commercial mower lasting a life time doesn't really hold water for everyone, especially a commercial operator who puts a 1000hrs a year on a ztr I mean how long do you think they're going to keep a mower? three maybe four years max.
If the average homeowner cuts his lawn four times a month@ two hours a cut that's only eight hours a month and depending on how many months a year he mows that's a possibility of somewhere between sixty and eighty hours a year and any good high end residential will do that for many years if it's maintained the way it should be and at half the cost.

K

KennyV

I was addressing my response to the original poster...
He was not talking about doing a lot of commercial work...
ALSO he is in Colorado... The there are Not enough mowing days in any year there to get any where near 1000 hrs a year... Cant mow 24/7 and they have 4 seasons... not mowing grass half the year...

Also I Am recommending he buy More mower than he needs... He will be able to buy a Great high end machine that will Last for decades... He stated he was Open to used...
There are fantastic deals to be had on Low hour high end USED equipment...

If a savvy Businessman is doing 1000 hrs a year... he Needs an Industrial grade machine... no need for Me to point out why.
:smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

I was addressing my response to the original poster...
He was not talking about doing a lot of commercial work...
ALSO he is in Colorado... The there are Not enough mowing days in any year there to get any where near 1000 hrs a year... Cant mow 24/7 and they have 4 seasons... not mowing grass half the year...

Also I Am recommending he buy More mower than he needs... He will be able to buy a Great high end machine that will Last for decades... He stated he was Open to used...
There are fantastic deals to be had on Low hour high end USED equipment...

If a savvy Businessman is doing 1000 hrs a year... he Needs an Industrial grade machine... no need for Me to point out why.
:smile:KennyV

I can see our opinions or beliefs differ on the subject. True he said nothing of commercial work and if it's like you say he's not mowing grass half the year then why spend all the extra on high end machine that will Last for decades when a high end residential would do the same thing and be more cost effective for the homeowner.

You say there fantastic deals to be had on Low hour high end USED equipment, the way I look at that is if this Low hour high end USED equipment is such a fantastic deal and it last for decades why is the individual selling it?
Sorry I don't agree but I see that as buying someone else's problems and besides that if you find a Low hour high end mower forsale the seller will want top dollar for it and you could buy the thing at the dealer with warranty for a few hundred more, at least that's what I find to be true on craigslist.

As far as a savvy Businessman Needing an Industrial grade machine I agree but I also know they're not going to keep them for a decade.
Personally if I were Fallcreek I'd buy what the dealer suggested because he is right in his suggestion and that Z 465 would do the job and would give him many years of service and be more cost effective for him as a homeowner.

M

Mad Mackie

Several considerations when looking for a new mower.
First and usually foremost is how much money are you comfortable spending.
Secondly, are you handy mechanically? If not then you should consider local dealers and the products that they sell as this will provide you with local servicing.
My experience over the years has told me that over researching a product usually ends up with an unhappy owner/operator.
Do you have a need for your future machine to be able to perform other functions such as plowing and snow blowing?
Sometimes a dealers demo of a machine will help in a decision.
I mow commercially but only put about 250 hours on one machine and about 75 hours on the other annually. However all of my customers have difficult lawns to deal with and I use collection systems on my machines about 95% on the time.
An effective collection system attachment for your future new machine may be another consideration that you should look at if needed. In the fall I cleanup upwards of 600 bushels of leaves and pine needles and this volume is after the leaves have gone thru the mower deck and the collection blower and decreased.
Most machines have collection systems available however a small percentage of them are effective.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

S

snapsstorer

one of the things you stated is that you want something to handle afew morre functions, and seeing where you live, you may to think about good garden tractor that during the winter you can attach a snowblower to it which would be multi-functional. just means that you may have to be careful closer to shore not to sink the front tire in the sand. any zero turn is not quite as safe for a snowblower. the garden tractor may be harder to get around trees but being able to use it during the winter blowing the snow out of your driveway(if it is like mine, 778 feet long) it just maybe worthwhile for you

T

tyjoja

I'm new here with 2 acres and have a commecial walk/ride behind older john deere mower. very old but works pretty good. If and when it wears out I am going to look for a kubota lawn tractor or a kubota ztr with a diesel motor. Seems like I take my j.d. in to the shop every other year and it cost 300+ to keep running

Bruce Mowbray

Bruce Mowbray

I have a heavy duty homeowners mower (Husqevarna 23-54) and I mow 4 difficult acres with hills, rocks, weeds and water along with bumpy grass every week. I blow snow on a 600 foot driveway in the winter when I need. I really beat the crap out of my mower and every year I need to do some repairs or improvements. It gives me some time in my shop away from my wife. Ive had the mower for 10 years now and it's still going strong. I ALWAYS change the oils, filters and plugs.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

R

Rivets

Looks like someone doesn't have to work on his equipment or if he does buys parts at WalMart. Buy commercial, buy brand name, buy from a dealer who will help you, and buy what you feel will last at least 15 years with good care. People come to this site for advise, not misadvise which cost them down the road. I drink whatever you will serve.