Blades Sharpening

:welcome: to the forum. 1st thing to do is to remove it, then use one of many options to sharpen it, or replace it if it is worn. I am sure someone will come along with a better answer.:thumbsup:
 
I lock mine down in the vice, and use an angle grinder then balance them on a cone balancer I got from Lowes.
 
I lock mine down in the vice, and use an angle grinder then balance them on a cone balancer I got from Lowes.

wjjones,
Same here, except I use the bench grinder. The cone balancer must be a "Tennessee thing" as there was a huge debate in a thread about that method versus using a nail in the wall and the "expensive" metal balancers(that run a couple hundred bucks). There was also varying opinons as to the real necessity of balancing the blade(in regard to performance or adverse effect on spindle assemblies/bearings). This is likely to re-open that debate:0)
 
I use a vise and a file, have for as long as I can remember. I can use a file and take off only what material is necessary to obtain a nice sharp blade then the nail in the wall for balance. At the first of the season I go over the yard closely to make sure there are no surprises like rocks or something that could possibly ruin a blade or a mower.:thumbsup::laughing:
 
I have sharpened mower blades many different ways over the past 35 years, file/bench grinder/right angle grinder. They all work ok but it can be challenging to maintain the same angle all the time plus with low RPM grinders it is easy to overheat/burn the blade loosing the temper causing the blade to dull prematurely. Commercial blade grinders are costly but do eliminate improper grinding angles also turn at a higher speed pulling metal off quicker pulling the heat with the metal particles thus keeping the blade cooler. I would have to agree that it would be impractical to own a commercial grinder for my own purposes but with that said I have taken on sharpening jobs around town looking at a three year payback on the sharpener. I also bought the balancer/truing gauge. I would agree with others that vibration is not as noticeable with two or three blade decks, but I have personally witnessed a large single blade Honda self-propelled walk behind mower that was without a doubt night & day difference after balancing at idle or full throttle gauging the vibration/shaking on the handlebars. Here again I probably could not justify a balancer without custom sharpening/balancing blades to offset the cost. After a season of operating my sharpening business I am able to an A+ sharpen & balance on a blade in an average of slightly over 1 minute. I do know a larger lawn care service that owns their own blade grinder and balancer.
 
I bought one of these.

Bradley Lawn Mower blade sharpener.jpg

If you make them a good offer on E-bay they will probably take it. Mine works great on blades that are not curved in the sharpened area.
 
wjjones,
Same here, except I use the bench grinder. The cone balancer must be a "Tennessee thing" as there was a huge debate in a thread about that method versus using a nail in the wall and the "expensive" metal balancers(that run a couple hundred bucks). There was also varying opinons as to the real necessity of balancing the blade(in regard to performance or adverse effect on spindle assemblies/bearings). This is likely to re-open that debate:0)



Mine is a little plastic cone balancer from lowes it cost about $6 plus tax.
 
Back
Top