Sharpening blades

bullet bob

Threads
I listed in the WTB section that I was interested in buying an All-American blade sharpener. That was some time ago, and no responses. That got me to thinking, if maybe the 'pros' aren't using some type of 'jig', maybe I don't need one also. Sooooo are you fellas mostly just free-handing these? I made one out of wood, finished it, but it wouldn't work w/ my Oregon gator blades. Went back to the 4 1/2 grinder w/ 36 grit disc. Turned out pretty good. Too anal about this?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
. Too anal about this?

Probably. Put the blade on upside down and it still mows. And today's blades are in all kinds of shapes, kerfs, and edges. I just try to follow the original angle and get a good sharp edge. It would be nice to have a sharpener that could be used with the blade(s) on the machine, couple swipes and its done.

gainestruk

Threads
You know I have a lot of sand here in central Oklahoma, I've found for me it's best to just leave blades alone, I go thru a set of blades each year, if I sharpen I will go thru 2 sets.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I listed in the WTB section that I was interested in buying an All-American blade sharpener. That was some time ago, and no responses. That got me to thinking, if maybe the 'pros' aren't using some type of 'jig', maybe I don't need one also. Sooooo are you fellas mostly just free-handing these? I made one out of wood, finished it, but it wouldn't work w/ my Oregon gator blades. Went back to the 4 1/2 grinder w/ 36 grit disc. Turned out pretty good. Too anal about this?
I have the all american sharpener. Done a few hundred blades on it. If it breaks i will buy another. Best sharpener i have used

Ken22

Threads
I have 2 sets of blades and rotate my blades every 2nd or 3rd mow. A file is usually enough to touch them up. I also use a router with a blade stone for when a friend bring me blades to sharpen. I cut the speed down to about 1/3.

Attachments

• Resized_20190911_142254.jpeg
    Resized_20190911_142254.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 29

primerbulb120

Threads
I use a plain old angle grinder. But I end up replacing blades more often than sharpening them, we have sandy soil in my area and it wears them out fast.

1saxman

Threads
I take blades off, clean them, put them in the vise, sharpen with a file, check balance and paint. Then I hang that blade and put on one I did previously. I even do the same on my 30" rider. Typically my blades last until the airfoil on the back gets too thin for safety. Then I trash it and order a new one to replace it, and take a reconditioned one down and put it on the mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Angle grinder for this little black duck
The angle is not all that important .
What is important is removing nicks & gouges and keeping the edge a constant thickness ( around 2 mm ) and that the cutting edge is a strait line.
MY commercial customers all keep at least 2 sets of blades in their truck so they can change them in an instant when requirred .

Mower King

Threads
I use both, a 4 1/2" angle grinder or a 6" stationary belt sander......which one I use depends on what the blades look like and how dull they are!