Sharpening Blades

I sharpen my blades. Put them in a vise, clamping on the middle area, and use a flat b@stard file, following the bevel on each end. Then I hang the blade by the middle hole on a nail sticking out from a stud in the garage. If the blade dips to one end, I run the file on that bevel a few more strokes until the blade hangs level.

Thanks for the nail idea, I had never thought of checking balance with the blade side ways. I have thought about buying a little cheap blade balancer. I have Husky 52" zero turn that is a year old and I have sharpened the blades several times already as I have a gravel driveway and live on a little hill that is not a "golf course". This year due to many factors I couldn't get my grass cut until it was over 8" tall; I raised the deck and cut with newly sharpened blades and the cut was very spotty. Hope it was the length of the grass but I'm afraid it's time to order blades.
 
The nail has served many owners really well, just remember to turn the blade over so you look at it one way then flip the blade over and read it the other way.
This is because with the nail your fulcrum point is not in the centre of the blade it is off set by the thickness of the hole.
Being a serviceman I have a cone but that is mainly to keep the insurance company happy by removing some possible negligence.

It is also a horses for courses thing.
Out of balance blades will do most damage when running for a long time at a constant speed which is exactly what commercial users do.
For most domestic users it is not so much of a problem. I get mowers in regularly with 1/2 missing from one end or the flute missing on one side and it has little effect on the mower but they all say the new blades made a big difference to the quality of the cut and the speed they could mow.
 
Bench grinder and just enough to break the edge. Clean the edge up is all you want. And of course maintain the balance which is no biggie if you just kiss the edges enough to consider the blades sharpened. They should just call it dressing the edge.
 
I read that an angle of 30 degrees is ideal. Does anyone use a tool to perfect this angle? I think I saw that one manufacturer wants 28 degrees and everybody else says 30, just not much different some of you on this forum are pretty precise in all you do.

Sent from my iPad using LMF
 
I read that an angle of 30 degrees is ideal. Does anyone use a tool to perfect this angle? I think I saw that one manufacturer wants 28 degrees and everybody else says 30, just not much different some of you on this forum are pretty precise in all you do.

Sent from my iPad using LMF
No measuring tool except my eyes. I set in my chair with the blade across my knee and sharpen with my Makita grinder until I like what I see. Just a guess but I believe when the width of the flat exceeds twice the blade thickness by a narrow margin the angle is approaching 30°.

I only use a sharp blade and not one with a land (flat) on the edge. In my opinion that's for those people that swing out on the gravel drive to turn around or mow in sandy areas with the engine full throttle and PTO engaged.
 

Attachments

  • Mower blade sharp 15.jpg
    Mower blade sharp 15.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 40
Go to search here and see pic of dry offhand sharpening with an 8" wheel with no burning AND a lo cost precision balancer you can make.
 
No measuring tool except my eyes. I set in my chair with the blade across my knee and sharpen with my Makita grinder until I like what I see. Just a guess but I believe when the width of the flat exceeds twice the blade thickness by a narrow margin the angle is approaching 30ー.

I only use a sharp blade and not one with a land (flat) on the edge. In my opinion that's for those people that swing out on the gravel drive to turn around or mow in sandy areas with the engine full throttle and PTO engaged.

SeniorCitizen,
You do good work, that is a fine looking edge.
 
Back
Top