Setting up a governor

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No one has really answered the OPs real question of where the spring gets attached or did, I miss something. Seems they got a lot of good help but not an answer about the spring.

After reading this I edited post #6
Two thing we the model number for one thing so we can look up the equipment and second a picture of the spring in question as it might be only a slack preventer spring and not the actual governor spring.

Estam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all your help,all good information.

This generator was given to me by my brother who had this for years and basically he only used it a few times. Long story but he felt the gas my have got some water in it and didn't realize it until he tried to start it. Years later the gas had sat in the carb and ended up totally corroded it and the main jet orifice was plugged with a white powder.

Purchased a new ebay carb and she started right up and putting a slight pressure on the throttle linkage with figure can hold it at a steady rpm and will read 60 ish Hz.

I suppose my original question was I had installed the spring linkage from one end to the other of the metal linkage which didn't make to much sense to me but I can't remember exactly where is was attached to! Googling this is getting me nowhere, trying to get a picture of the carb/governor to see the spring.

Unhooking the spring at the carb end and holding it and putting little pressure on the governor arm it will run in the 60Hz range but I still don't know where to hook it to. Listening it sounds like it runs in the correct rpm range so if I can figure out where to hook the spring I can do a few load tests.

Any suggestions please, thanks for this,

Best regards,

Dave...

Forest#2

Threads
Read post #5, #6 & 11
And give us a hint of the model number and maybe can give you more detailed info.

Estam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all, yes there is a lot of good information here.
Finally got some pictures, don't see a model number but maybe you can detect it.
Removed the gas tank and reviled a spring that is actually attached midway on the governor arm.
Tried a few different settings but the rpm's still hunt and vary between 58Hz and 63Hz.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Really need a pic of the spring as can be either a governor spring or slack take up spring.

The link in post does not as they require a login.

Forest#2

Threads
Post #6 is what you need to read.

You will have to re-adjust the Hz using a Hz meter each time you move the governor spring to a different hole in the gov arm. set the Hz at 63-64 wity\h no load.

It's also quite common for a governor spring to become weaker over time and require a new spring to lessen the droop or hunting.

Estam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post # 6 refers to a 717cc to a 754cc engine. This is a 193cc.

When running it hunts like a hungry animal and have tried every slot to get it to run constant.

I'll buy a new spring in the morning....

Forest#2

Threads
You say:
Post # 6 refers to a 717cc to a 754cc engine. This is a 193cc.

Setting up the governor uses the same basics.

You said previously in your first post that you could hold the governor arm steady and the engine ran steady and nice.
If it still hunts with a new CORRECT PART NUMBER governor SPRING installed you need to hold the governor arm manually at engine idles and see if the engine idles smooth with the new carb replacement you just installed.
The low end at idle will cause such if it's not good and smooth. It uses both the low and the H jets at the high end rpm's.
Was the OEM carb that you replaced gunked/clogged up or what?????
If the carb you installed has any adjustable jets, try making slight adjustments to the jets, but pay attention to their setting BEFORE you move them. Try a slight adjustment to the H jet first.
The L jet will have to be tweaked with the engine at idle.

BUT you say it hunts from 58-63Hz
If this 58-63 is at no load trying installing a 2000 watt resistive load and test. (12-15 amp @ 120volt load) or 8 amp @ 240 volt load