setting the timing

Mowbasher

Forum Newbie
I recently replaced the connecting rod in a briggs and stratton. Upon putting it back together, I noticed when lining up the timing marks, that the piston isn't TDC. Is that right on these small engines? Or am I missing something?
 
I recently replaced the connecting rod in a briggs and stratton. Upon putting it back together, I noticed when lining up the timing marks, that the piston isn't TDC. Is that right on these small engines? Or am I missing something?

I just did a B and S 10a902 5 hp I think. The mark on the cam wheel is an inverted v shaped notch out on the edge of the plastic gear. The drive gear which is positioned on the crank has a dot stamped into it. They line up when the piston is on the upswing and the rod big end is at about 9:00. About a half stroke from TDC. I just lined up the marks and then turned the crank shaft by hand to observe the valves and piston movement to make sure it was correct and it was.
 
Back
Top