Seriously Rethinking Lawn Mower Business

minkyung

Threads
Robert, that thread is interesting :) Big money, huh? But I'm also taking note of what Ric is saying.

Just like any business, yes, we must know our numbers. We must also know where the right market is. Commitment to results is most important. Geee, that's the part that I am thinking of right now.

abra

Threads
Most of my clients work long hours so the last thing that they want to do is mow their lawns
The lawn mowing business is big in Australia.
I started Feb last year and have more work then i can handle once I made my website.
It mite not be the best site but I made it and is seems to work, have a look at it and let me know what you think.
Abracadabra Lawn Mowing Services

BGC

Threads
Also, I would suggest maybe checking out different suburban areas and complexes. If you get in with a business there is a good chance you will get to do their home lawns as well.

mois25

Threads
It seems lawn care service is a booming industry and probably it is something I should also reconsider. Which makes me wonder, isn't competition poised to also increase in the next few years?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
isn't competition poised to also increase in the next few years?

Absolutely ... competition by the pro's that have real commercial/industrial equipment. and those that show up with residential equipment... makes no difference how your competition is set up the sheer number of folks that are, for whatever reason, looking to get into something.

Makes no difference that 90 out of every 100 that start will be doing something else in 2 years or less...
because there will be a new 90 to 100 trying to start, each year, to replace the ones that have quit.
You just have to realize that all business have to deal with all sorts of competition.. the actual and the temporary.. That's business... :smile:KennyV

jenkinsph

Threads
As others have stated or implied it is a business and you have to learn the ins and outs to make it work for you. I combine my landscaping business with construction work and pick my clients carefully, that is key to me.:thumbsup:

S_Perreault

Threads
One thing i like to do is leave estimates at houses that have easy lawns to mow - not too much weed whipping and not a lot of fencing and whatnot -

that way if you get a call you pretty much already have the job instead of having to drive back out and give a price to someone, and its a lawn that will only take a few minutes to mow

plus those type of lawns generally belong to people who are gone alot and don't have time to spend in their yards

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
One thing i like to do is leave estimates at houses that have easy lawns to mow - not too much weed whipping and not a lot of fencing and whatnot -

that way if you get a call you pretty much already have the job instead of having to drive back out and give a price to someone, and its a lawn that will only take a few minutes to mow

plus those type of lawns generally belong to people who are gone alot and don't have time to spend in their yards

Basically I don't do the estimate thing, I use business cards at houses or even when people walk up and ask about having there lawns done and I try to keep a set price. I keep my routes in different sub-divisions ( all close to each other and home) so as to cut my travel expenses and it allows me too give the customer a better price as well as doing more accounts per day. The thing a do not do are lawns that are outside and away from my routes, single accounts with travel time can kill you.

If I were someone thinking about getting into the Lawn Care Business today I'd seriously have to rethink it with gas prices the way they're going. I'm guessing you'll be looking at about 30% of the businesses going under this year especially those with the high overhead. On the positive side for anyone seriously considering it, they should be able to find equipment cheap.

jenkinsph

Threads
Basically I don't do the estimate thing, I use business cards at houses or even when people walk up and ask about having there lawns done and I try to keep a set price. I keep my routes in different sub-divisions ( all close to each other and home) so as to cut my travel expenses and it allows me too give the customer a better price as well as doing more accounts per day. The thing a do not do are lawns that are outside and away from my routes, single accounts with travel time can kill you.

If I were someone thinking about getting into the Lawn Care Business today I'd seriously have to rethink it with gas prices the way they're going. I'm guessing you'll be looking at about 30% of the businesses going under this year especially those with the high overhead. On the positive side for anyone seriously considering it, they should be able to find equipment cheap.

I agree with keeping the customers in close proximity to each other and lots of businesses will fail this year. I have been changing my business to fewer custormers but all encompassing jobs, this tends to keep me on longer term jobs instead of short service calls with lots of driving time. In times of higher fuel prices this is extremely beneficial to me. I suspect that mowing as a primary business has got to be a tough way to make it, We do lots of construction remodel work for a select few, try to do a great job for them and these customers keep us busy all year round.

I make myself available to meet the needs of the customers with their property concerns and am the first call for everything needed. Some things I have others do and simply oversee and manage but for most of the work my crew handles it. Virtually all of my customers are part time with vacation homes and need someone who will keep an eye on the place with diligence. Again good customers who will pay for good service is a win win situation.

S_Perreault

Threads
i just gave 600 estimates within 30 miles of my house (all areas I where I already am) and got 3 new good lawns so far since 2 weeks ago - took 2 tanks of gas and $40 ink cost- $180 total - (yeah paper $12 and wear and tear on truck) -but I bet i get 5 more lawns - plus I'm in Michigan so I'm in limbo - too wet to rake but no snow removal