Seperate engine from generator

jujupope

Forum Newbie
I have a 10hp Briggs I need to break loose from the generator. How is the shaft connected to gen.?
Going to use engine in a UTV Im building for around the property. Has anyone done this? Help! Please...Thx in advance :laughing:
 
Some generators have the armatures screwed on the crankshaft. Post the engine model numbers and we will be able to tell you whether you threaded or tapered crankshaft.
 
So if it is tapered, and the gen. is bolted to the frame and the engine is bolted to the frame, I break one loose and soft hammer it off the taper? Thanks for response...
 
Just looked up the crankshaft for your engine. Part number is 495790 and it has a tapered crankshaft end. What I do to remove the armature is as follows. I take an old starter rope a stuff it in the cylinder. Rotate the until it stops on the compression stroke, valves closed so the don't bend. Take my dead blow hammer and give the armature a good rap in the same direction as I turned the crankshaft. After a couple of try's it should pop off.
 
Is the generator not working? The motor on it is probably an 8 hp at best which is too small in my opinion, and that tapered shaft could create issues for you in selecting a pulley or sprocket for your drivetrain. If the generator is working, I suggest selling it and using the money to buy an engine with a straight keyed shaft.
 
Thanks guys. Both responses meet my needs. The taper will interfere with my plans. Yes the gen. is in great running cond. The motor says 10 hp. It is a 120/240v. 5500w. What would it sell for?
 
Sorry about that, I noticed you stated it was a 10 hp in the original post. This is why I think it would be underpowered. I have a Club Car golf cart that I use as a utility vehicle around the farm. I use it as a spray rig, small tow rig and for general transportation. It has a 9 hp Kawasaki engine in it, and has a factory top speed of 13 mph. It is woefully underpowered for towing even a small yard cart or if I'm going up a moderate hill. I could have changed the gear ratio, but then it would be even slower. That's why I am literally in the middle of a motorcycle engine swap right now, but I'll digress as I don't want to hijack your thread.

What is your gen set worth? That all depends on the brand, age, number of hours it has been run and overall condition. You said it was in good running condition, so if it isn't too many years old and in average condition, then it should be worth $300-$350 around here.
 
I would guess that your Dayton 3ZC13 generator would range in price from $200-600 depending on condition and if it is needed in your area. You didn't tell us the size or year, but I suspect that it is a 5000W and built about 1995. Dayton built very good generators and their stators and armatures are among the best made.
 
Back
Top