Self-Propelled WON'T Self-Propel?

philadelphia1

Threads
Hello My Friends hope you are having a nice day,

Craftsman Limited Edition Honda
Honda GCV 160
Model # 247.376830

So I am working on a family members self-propelled (now a push mower) that wont self-propel. I am thinking it can be due to one of four things... #1 the belt.....#2 the shaft pulley....#3 the transmission pulley....#4 the transmission itself.

When I engage the self propelled handle the wheels do not spin but when I tilt the mower and lift front wheels off the ground they spin but somewhat slowly. Also, when I engage to self propel I notice that the belt seems to appear to be jumping around? When I took everything apart I did notice some polishing on both pulleys and I suspect this something you would expect to see and is normal? from my layman's viewpoint? I don't know this why I am here at the Lawn Mower Forum to find out from the experts.

What are your thoughts? And what shall I replace 1st? I included several pictures to help give ya a better understanding.

Thanks for your time, Its appreciated!

Here in Philly

Attachments

• belt 3.jpg
    belt 3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Shaft pulley 1.jpg
    Shaft pulley 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 7
  • shaft pulley 2.jpg
    shaft pulley 2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 4
  • shaft pulley 3.jpg
    shaft pulley 3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 7
  • shaft pulley 4.jpg
    shaft pulley 4.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 4
  • shaft pulley 5.jpg
    shaft pulley 5.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9
  • trans pulley 1.jpg
    trans pulley 1.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 9
  • trans pulley 2.jpg
    trans pulley 2.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 12
  • trans pulley 3.jpg
    trans pulley 3.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 12
  • belt 1.jpg
    belt 1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 10

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Belt needs replaced.
something does not look right with this picture.
trans pulley 2.jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
First of all, THANK YOU for posting pictures! :cool: That's really helpful!

Replace the belt, but before you put the new one on engage the self propel and try to spin the transmission pulley by hand (with the belt removed.) If it's very hard to spin, don't put the new belt on until you have checked back here for more help. It's possible that something in the drive system is binding up, causing the belt to slip on the pulleys and wear out.

A new belt can be obtained for $7.50 here: ebay.com/itm/OEM-Replacement-Belt-MTD-954-0637A-STE-265-262-/281961269026?hash=item41a6338722:g:pT0AAOSwLnlWos6f

Last edited:

philadelphia1

Threads
Thanks for the replies guys.

BlazNT,

Are you suggesting the transmission pulley is worn or damaged?

Primerbulb120,

Thanks for looking up the belt on E-bay and providing the link, I appreciate that. Plus you found the cheapest price. You're the man! Do you suspect the belt is the problem by looking at the pictures or replacing it is the most logical and economical first step. I checked the pulley on the transmission with the belt off and the pulley spins freely with zero resistance, which is a good sign.

primerbulb120

Threads

BlazNT,

Primerbulb120,

Thanks for looking up the belt on E-bay and providing the link, I appreciate that. Plus you found the cheapest price. You're the man! Do you suspect the belt is the problem by looking at the pictures or replacing it is the most logical and economical first step. I checked the pulley on the transmission with the belt off and the pulley spins freely with zero resistance, which is a good sign.

Take a look at BlazNT's picture, he circled the problem in red: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attac...propelled-wont-self-propel-trans-pulley-2-jpg

It's good that the pulley spins freely by hand, but go back and try spinning it with the belt off and the self propel engaged. You should encounter resistance and the mower should move slowly. If the pulley is extremely hard to turn, you have another problem to fix before you replace the belt.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

BlazNT,

Primerbulb120,

No not suggesting that the pulley is bad but the engager so to speak. Normally it would be round not look like it's broken off .

From the picture the belt is bad.

philadelphia1

Threads
BlazNT

I apologize, I did not see the red circle on the last post in the picture, my bad. I cleaned the area in question with a toothbrush and took another picture after the clean up. Doesn't appear that anything is broken. I agree my initial picture it does appear that something might be going on there. Have a look at the new picture and let me know what you think. There is a metal piece there and it is being secured by some type of metal clip.

Primerbulb120,

Thanks for pointing out the red circle in the picture, I didn't catch that. So I engaged the self propel and turned the pulley clockwise, I did feel slight resistance and the mowers wheels slowly turned forward.

Attachments

• brush clean 4.jpg
    brush clean 4.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 15
  • brush clean3.jpg
    brush clean3.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 14
  • brush clean 2.jpg
    brush clean 2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 9
  • brush clean 1.jpg
    brush clean 1.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 11

primerbulb120

Threads
BlazNT

I apologize, I did not see the red circle on the last post in the picture, my bad. I cleaned the area in question with a toothbrush and took another picture after the clean up. Doesn't appear that anything is broken. I agree my initial picture it does appear that something might be going on there. Have a look at the new picture and let me know what you think. There is a metal piece there and it is being secured by some type of metal clip.

Primerbulb120,

Thanks for pointing out the red circle in the picture, I didn't catch that. So I engaged the self propel and turned the pulley clockwise, I did feel slight resistance and the mowers wheels slowly turned forward.

The metal clip looks much better in the new pictures. :thumbsup:

Since the pulley turned okay with the self propel engaged, you should be good to go replacing the belt. Get a new one, put it on and see what you think!
Here's the link I gave you earlier for a new belt: ebay.com/itm/OEM-Replacement-Belt-MTD-954-0637A-STE-265-262-/281961269026?hash=item41a6338722:g:pT0AAOSwLnlWos6 f

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The metal clip looks much better in the new pictures. :thumbsup:

Since the pulley turned okay with the self propel engaged, you should be good to go replacing the belt. Get a new one, put it on and see what you think!
Here's the link I gave you earlier for a new belt: ebay.com/itm/OEM-Replacement-Belt-MTD-954-0637A-STE-265-262-/281961269026?hash=item41a6338722:g:pT0AAOSwLnlWos6 f

I agree new belt time.

philadelphia1

Threads
Ok, great guys thanks for your help! I ordered the belt and should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'll slap everything back together and see how things go. I'll report back on progress. Thanks again!