Export thread

seizes in 3 minutes?

T

torobob

My 17 hp Kohler command blew the head gasket, was very hard to start for months, i guess it was leaking compression,and finally blew out and wouldn't start, new gasket in and it starts great, but engine locks up in a coupla minutes, good clean full of oil?, never burned any oil? lots of hours by last owner., its on a toro zero turn. plus I cleaned out a mouse nest in the shroud, cooling should be better? Coincidence? or am I missing something?

B

bertsmobile1

Siezes or just stops ?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Did you check your valve clearance? Unless its a kohler with the Hydraulic lifters.

S

slomo

Bet the mice caused it to overheat, warping the block and doing internal damage. Supposed to remove the top engine cover YEARLY to clean the engine cooling fins. Check your manual.

slomo

T

torobob

it locks up, like a tight con rod?, but restarts later.

T

torobob

Bet the mice caused it to overheat, warping the block and doing internal damage. Supposed to remove the top engine cover YEARLY to clean the engine cooling fins. Check your manual.

slomo
nope, it ran fine , just weak with the gasket leaking, the only change was a new gasket?

T

torobob

Did you check your valve clearance? Unless its a kohler with the Hydraulic lifters.
hydraulic lifters.

B

bertsmobile1

Just the same
Rotate the engine and check the space between the coils of the inlet & exhaust valve when the valve is fully open

They should be the same
If not then one of the guides is slipping in the head and the lock up is coil bind

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Can a fly wheel magnet cause this?

T

torobob

I tore her down tonite, whew, top main bearing seized? don't get it,full of good clean oil, ran great ,but weak with head gasket leaking, of course it locks up after buying the new gasket. I bought a craftsman parts mower for the 24 hp Kohler engine, its going into the TORO.

B

bertsmobile1

Usually this can be repaired with a good clean of the crank and if necessary a real bush .
Crank will clean with HCl ( Muriatic acid ) from a pool shop .
Then see how much slop is there
Usually it siezes when you are driving across a long slope.

StarTech

StarTech

Just remember to neutralize the acid and don't get it on any good aluminum. Will need to be heavy oiled after neutralization or the metal will flash rust.

Note on safety: Use the acid only extremely well ventilated area with the air from your back so you don't breathe in the fumes as they are very dangerous. Can actually take your breathe away especially if you have already have lung problems like myself.

B

bertsmobile1

In fact, do it outside.
If you allow the acid fume inside your workshop it will atack everything it lands on, partcularly things with sharp edges like drill bits.