seizes in 3 minutes?

torobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 17 hp Kohler command blew the head gasket, was very hard to start for months, i guess it was leaking compression,and finally blew out and wouldn't start, new gasket in and it starts great, but engine locks up in a coupla minutes, good clean full of oil?, never burned any oil? lots of hours by last owner., its on a toro zero turn. plus I cleaned out a mouse nest in the shroud, cooling should be better? Coincidence? or am I missing something?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you check your valve clearance? Unless its a kohler with the Hydraulic lifters.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bet the mice caused it to overheat, warping the block and doing internal damage. Supposed to remove the top engine cover YEARLY to clean the engine cooling fins. Check your manual.

slomo

torobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bet the mice caused it to overheat, warping the block and doing internal damage. Supposed to remove the top engine cover YEARLY to clean the engine cooling fins. Check your manual.

slomo
nope, it ran fine , just weak with the gasket leaking, the only change was a new gasket?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just the same
Rotate the engine and check the space between the coils of the inlet & exhaust valve when the valve is fully open

They should be the same
If not then one of the guides is slipping in the head and the lock up is coil bind

torobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tore her down tonite, whew, top main bearing seized? don't get it,full of good clean oil, ran great ,but weak with head gasket leaking, of course it locks up after buying the new gasket. I bought a craftsman parts mower for the 24 hp Kohler engine, its going into the TORO.