Seized Motor??

E.Sunderland

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Gravely ZT1640. I use it on an old practice baseball field I take care of. I was mowing the other day, and it died, stopped in its tracks. Had no power at all when I turned the key. I found a blown 30 fuse when I lifted the seat. It was one of the fuses connected from the ignition to the battery, solenoid, and starter. I replaced the fuse, and it at least got power. Now it would just click and had high pitch whistle when I turned the key. Battery is fully charged. The starter was very hot to the touch. I didn’t have any tools to see if I could move the flywheel, or test the solenoid or starter. I was thinking if it was the starter, it wouldn’t abruptly die unless it tripped that fuse right? How can I tell if it is a bad solenoid, starter, or if the motor seized all together? Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try hand turning the crankshaft. If you are not to turn it. The next thing to try is to remove the electric PTO clutch as if the top bearing in it fails it can lock up things.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As it is an older mower the other thing that happens is a worn starter can cause the teeth to engage point to point which locks the flywheel
Take the blower housing off & have a look
Some times you can release it by turning the engine backwards and some times this bends the starter shaft .