Seeking Help with Mower Restoration - PTO Question CUB CADET 125 HYDROSTATIC "KOHLER 12HP"

jadenj12345

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Seeking Help with Mower Restoration - PTO Question CUB CADET 125 HYDROSTATIC "KOHLER 12HP"
Hey everyone,

I want to start off by saying that I'm not an expert when it comes to mowers. This is my very first one, which I received as a gift, and I'm in the process of restoring it for general use. I don't know all the technical part names or exactly how everything works, but I'm eager to learn as I go along.

A few years ago, I received this mower, and recently, I decided to get it up and running so I could use it for mowing. One of the tasks I tackled was replacing the belt, and I used a 1/2" x 81" belt, which I believe is the correct size.

However, while I was reinstalling the clutch shaft, the front parts of the PTO (Power Take-Off) mechanism came off. When I looked at online diagrams, what I have looks completely different from what's shown. I'm not sure if the previous owner made modifications or used different parts.

My main question is, do I need to purchase a new PTO, or is there a way to adapt what I have to make it work properly?

I appreciate any guidance or advice you can provide. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-3792 (1).jpg
    IMG-3792 (1).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-3793 (1).jpg
    IMG-3793 (1).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-3794 (1).jpg
    IMG-3794 (1).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Seeking Help with Mower Restoration - PTO Question CUB CADET 125 HYDROSTATIC "KOHLER 12HP"
The only thing I see different is the button item 15 in the center of clutch, and that part in your had looks like somebody made there own part to replace the wear button item 16 as illustrated in this diagram

But if you take that clutch apart there is a special tool required to reset the height of the three clutch fingers.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your model & manual above.
Measure outside diameter of crankshaft your tractor for proper fit of new PTO Clutch. Amazon has best price for your clutch, be sure to follow break-in procedure (Burnishing) for your new PTO Clutch. Let us know how it goes , thanks Mark

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That part you are talking about was on the older tractors They changed it on the later model tractors. Guess you guys haven't around long enough ro see them LOL.

jadenj12345

Forum Newbie
Threads
That part you are talking about was on the older tractors They changed it on the later model tractors. Guess you guys haven't around long enough ro see them LOL.
I’m a complete beginner to mowers and I’m 22 , just getting started lol

jadenj12345

Forum Newbie
Threads
Locate your model & manual above.
Measure outside diameter of crankshaft your tractor for proper fit of new PTO Clutch. Amazon has best price for your clutch, be sure to follow break-in procedure (Burnishing) for your new PTO Clutch. Let us know how it goes , thanks Mark
I believe the one on the tractor now is a manual pto, if I got the electric one how would I wire that up?