Second hand mower?

Madi

Threads
What is the most you would spend on a used mower? I am looking to buy one and I have been looking second hand but I don't know which are good quality for the price, etc.

Mac 624

Threads
About quality I can not judge about the US made machinery. But as the new mowers are cheaper then here in Germany, if new and we have bought a lot of used equipment in the last few years, I would try the used ones.

We have had mostly good experince by doing so. I have figure out, that a lot of people replace their mowers only by a mior porb of the old one. Tehy do not want to pay a shop for doing repair. My thought all around the world: That is wrong! But will make You the possibility do make a good deal.

Last edited:

173abn

Threads
Madi,what are you looking to buy? I bought a used ZTR and am happy with it.If I were to buy a push mower I personally would buy new but thats me. russ

Michael

Threads
I do'nt what part Canada your in, I am in N.B. there's an old guy not far from me, that is selling used for $65.00 & up, mind you most of what he sells is junk, heck CTC wants $119.00 for the manual push mower (no motor, just push) I retired 2 years ago & took up the hobby of repairing some of these little devils, in my humble opinion, I would stay away from Craftsman ( sears ) unless it's just a walk behind, No travel or powered wheels. $75 bucks should get you somthing that would last 5 years if you maintain it, I prefer Briggs & Stratton Engines 4 to 6 horse power, check the body for rust or holes, if you know someone who own a compression tester, bring them with you, if you can, compression should be 75 lbs in 3 to 4 pulls, give a little tug on the wheels, make shure they are not flopping all over the place, Look underneath, if it's reasonabley clean it's a good sign, finally try to buy private sale. All of the above is just my opinion, I am not a pro, I am by trade, an indutrail mechanic/ production equipment mechanic, with an electronic, hydraulic, f4 welding Quaified, & have been turning wrenchs for more than 30 years, loved it as a kid & I still love it, God dont ask me why, I hate grease & paper work. Ok thats that, it's 10:15 here & 25 deg's unseasonable for here. I will open my pn box in case you need it.
Michael :smile:

cren

Threads
no motor, just push? Ow!

Really though I think it comes down to what someone is willing to do. Are you willing to push it (with or without a motor)? How about the other possible repair costs?