Sealing hole in fuel tank

Eddles

Threads
Hi all,

Got an old petrol mower with a leaking fuel tank. Buying a replacement tank is impossible, I've looked on eBay and on Google for a replacement tank but found absolutely nothing, I'm certain they've run out of this part, and as the company is out of business, no more would be made.

How can I seal the fuel tank, I know most sealants won't work with petrol, but does one exist? Advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,

Got an old petrol mower with a leaking fuel tank. Buying a replacement tank is impossible, I've looked on eBay and on Google for a replacement tank but found absolutely nothing, I'm certain they've run out of this part, and as the company is out of business, no more would be made.

How can I seal the fuel tank, I know most sealants won't work with petrol, but does one exist? Advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

What is the tank made out of? Give us some help,so maybe someone can help you.
pictures?

Eddles

Threads
What is the tank made out of? Give us some help,so maybe someone can help you.
pictures?

Ah sorry about that! I don't know what it's made of, some sort of black plastic! ABS I'd guess, but I've been known to be wrong quite often... It's off a Tecumseh TC300 engine. See the 2 pictures attached below, the first is the tank taken off the engine, and the second is a close-up of the location where the leak is coming from - it's from the hole, the gap between the black plastic and the fuel hose. The damp patch arrowed "Fuel" is the residue from the leak.

20150708_201553b.jpg
20150708_201526b.jpg

logan01

Threads
A basic tube of Seal All work great. Just clean it the best you can and follow the directions. I've used it from pin holes to a hole that was 1/2" diameter. Another alternative is JB Weld. I've used the "normal" two tube pkg of it on tanks and metal/plastic radiators. Lastly, when you get the tank repaired, I have had great success with both JC Whitney (no longer available) and Eastwood tank sealer in some very nasty vintage tractor tanks. I just put some cleanser in the tank along with an appropriately sized chain, gravel, etc and shake it well to get the scaly matter out, reclean, thoroughly dry, and apply the sealant as directed. Like a new tank.

Looked at the pics. Plastic tank therefore I reckon you can skip the sealant and scale removal. That looks like a fitting to which the line attaches. If the fitting cannot be secured without leaking, I would remove the line and JB Weld that fitting to the tank.

Eddles

Threads
Sweet, thank you very much! Will give JB Weld a try. Much appreciated!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sweet, thank you very much! Will give JB Weld a try. Much appreciated!

What about replacing the fuel line?
The same problem happens with string trimmers...the hose gets hard and then it leaks where it exits the tank. The new hose is pliable and it forms a seal where it exits the tank.

Eddles

Threads
The same problem happens with string trimmers...the hose gets hard and then it leaks where it exits the tank. The new hose is pliable and it forms a seal where it exits the tank.

The fuel line and filter only comes with the tank and can't be purchased separately. I guess I could buy some generic fuel line but not sure how to marry that to the filter that's inside the tank?

logan01

Threads
Yeah that looks like a pretty worthless design for a lawnmower. I'd remove the line and if that is only a fitting and not a filter, I'd JB weld the fitting or if it's a filter, I'd weld it too and clamp the hose to it on the outside of the tank. Or buy a new fitting from a hardware store and weld it in.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuel line and filter only comes with the tank and can't be purchased separately. I guess I could buy some generic fuel line but not sure how to marry that to the filter that's inside the tank?

You would work through the hole that you fill the gas with. You run a wire with a hook through both openings.
The wire would have a "fish hook" end that the new hose would hook to. You make a point on the hose end.
You then pull the hose from the large opening through the small hole with the wire. It should be tight! in the small opening to seal.
Then you put the filter on the end that is still sticking out the fuel fill opening.
Then you pull that filter into the tank by pulling on the end that is now outside the small opening.
You leave enough in the tank to stay on the bottom.
The other end you trim so as it connects where it needs to connect on the carburetor.

Mikel1

Threads

Yeah if someone doesn't drill the hole(s) larger, seen this several times.