SD Blades Level

timlab55

Threads
I hope I do this right. I currently have a Hustler Model Number 939751 and I'll never go back to a riding lawn mower again. I live in SC where we have what we call "Highway Grass". Every time I go and cut it, I leave trails of this stuff standing up as if it's saying "Ha Ha you missed me". I've come to terms with the fact that I have to cut this stuff 2x as it used to take 1x on 6 acres. For an old man that's a lot of heat to take from the sun. My problem is not to cut it 2x but 1x and when it was brand new, no problem. There is no movement in the spindles when I try and move them. But for the deck, ya right, While learning about this machine yeah I'll be the first to admit that I hit the house with it a few times, taken off the discharge chute to the point of replacing it. Now comes to the questions of this whole thing: I did ask the dealership about this, but since he goes by feel and no tools, I think he's bullshitting me. I need/would like to know how to raise/lower the deck by the screws. According to him if I want to raise/lower the deck I have to go crosswise meaning the front screw left side goes with the right back screw to raise or lower the deck. I just don't get it and I'm willing to learn. Is this true? According to the manual, it states that you need to level the deck, I disagree with that because it's not the deck that is cutting the grass it's the blade. Am I wrong?
Thanks for your help

Bertrrr

Threads
Park the machine on a level surface and measure each side's ground clearance - if it's 1/4" or thereabouts I would not worry about it - as for leaving strips of unmowed grass That would not have anything to do with a level / unlevel deck - How old are your blades ? they tend to wear on the ends to a point where it does not clear cut - not sure of your model but most have 3 blades -some have one longer than the other 2 but some are the same

timlab55

Threads
Hustler Model Number 939751 is the mower, I have 3 blades and these blades are just out of the package. I've mess with the leveling of the deck and trying to get it right again. But I have learned that it's NOT the deck that cuts the grass it's the blades and I should measure using a tool called Mower Deck Leveling Gauge which I have one (new).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are both right and wrong, as there is a combination of both the blades and deck contributing to your problem. You are going to have to check and/or replace the following areas.
1. Blades must be sharp and in good condition.
2. Belt must be in good condition. With your use I’ll bet it is worn if three years or older.
3. All deck pulleys and spindles must be in good condition.
4. Deck must be level left to right and the back must be 1/4” higher in the back.
5. Engine must always be running at top RPMs.

Here is the owners manual and a video. Between the two of them you should be able to go through the things I posted.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cut yourself 4 blocks of wood. 2x4 or 4x4 work good. Cut two of them 3” long and two at 3 1/4” long. Air the tires to recommended pressure and park it on an even concrete pad. Set your deck at the 3” setting. Turn the blades front to rear. The 3” block should just slide under the front facing blade tips. The 3 1/4” block should just slide under the rear facing blade tips. If neither fit, adjust the leveling nuts until the blocks fit as described.

timlab55

Threads
I thank you for all the info. However, my 1st question isn't answered I don't think. I have 4 screws (2 on the front of the deck and 2 on the back of the deck). Which screws do I turn to raise the deck evenly?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI: There are not many blade options for the Hustler Raptor SD54. There will be OEM and aftermarket equivalents. Then there are Gator style blades. The Gator style blades aren’t worth a flip for cutting grass with high moisture content and they lose some lift due to cuts in the air foil.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thank you for all the info. However, my 1st question isn't answered I don't think. I have 4 screws (2 on the front of the deck and 2 on the back of the deck). Which screws do I turn to raise the deck evenly?
All four nuts are for leveling. Each one raises and lowers that particular corner of the deck. Watching the video will help you understand the process.

timlab55

Threads
All I do is use Gator-style blades, have I been doing something wrong these past 2 years?