Scams when buying a used mower: BEWARE!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I sell a used mower, the customer has to look at it & test drive it before any money changes hands.

RogerFisher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for sharing, I agree that you should not take the product through an intermediary.

SirMowzalot

Threads
I hit a lot of them when looking for a used pickup some years ago. Many of these clowns are sitting in places like China, Romania, etc. I don't even get angry anymore. I look at it as an opportunity to create comedy by driving a criminal clear up the wall and back. Like when they ask for the Western Union number send them the phone number, lol. "But you said you needed the number. Did you try to dial it? Did you speak to John? He's a nice guy. Very helpful. His daughter is getting married next week y'know!"

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buy from me I go over mine and they are in top notch shape. Most get bearings idlers belts and blades. I never got but one complaint and it was an ignition module.

SHB

Threads
Had the same experience with a backhoe. Deal was pretty good, but the more I interacted with the seller the odder it felt. I asked the seller to take a photo of the hoe controls, he sent me a photo, they were from a different model. I was able to trace the sellers IP address to Russia. Pointed out the problem, seller vanished.

Threads
I saw this on another forum and thought everyone should see it. Buying a used mower online can be risky!

"Just wanted to update you all on the mower I was considering buying online. It turns out the guy I was dealing with was trying to pull a scam. This mower was found on Craigslist San Antonio.

He had sent me pictures, model numbers and a storage company that was suppose to be storing the mower for him, Said he had to move to the UK and had left the mower with a secured moving company called SafeTransports in Amarillo Texas which is over 600 miles from Houston.

He advertised the mower being in San Antonio. He said SafeTransport would deliver the mower to me and give me 7 days to have it checked out before they would release the funds to him. He even was willing to pay shipping free and free pick up if I decided not to buy the mower. All I had to do was send a Money Gram to a guy at SafeTransports in the UK. Yeah Right!!!

None of this was mentioned when I first contacted him and before I posted this message.

I am a retired police officer and this brought up a lot of red flags so I asked for the serial number. Told him the bank needed it for the loan. He stalled by sending me the model number but later sent me a serial number.

I called Exmark and they told me it was a 2001 model and not a 2007 model. Exmark provided me with the previous owner, US Lawns out of Wisconsin. I called them and they told me they had traded in a bunch mowers last year and all had over 1500 hours on them. None were 2007 models.

I contacted the selller with the information I had obtained and guess what? He quit responding to my email. Email has even been turned off.

So buyer beware when dealing with used mowers. Never buy site unseen and make sure you are dealing with the owner in person. Call the manufacturer and check on the equipment. they will help you determine the original buyer and any service on the mower they have on file.

I ended up buying a new Scag."

(Online lawn mower sales scams. Be aware! | Lawn Care Business Marketing Tips - GopherHaul Blog)
happend to me lost 500 on a non running exmark pioner

freedhardwoods

Forum Newbie
Threads
I saw this on another forum and thought everyone should see it. Buying a used mower online can be risky!

"Just wanted to update you all on the mower I was considering buying online. It turns out the guy I was dealing with was trying to pull a scam. This mower was found on Craigslist San Antonio.

He had sent me pictures, model numbers and a storage company that was suppose to be storing the mower for him, Said he had to move to the UK and had left the mower with a secured moving company called SafeTransports in Amarillo Texas which is over 600 miles from Houston.

He advertised the mower being in San Antonio. He said SafeTransport would deliver the mower to me and give me 7 days to have it checked out before they would release the funds to him. He even was willing to pay shipping free and free pick up if I decided not to buy the mower. All I had to do was send a Money Gram to a guy at SafeTransports in the UK. Yeah Right!!!

None of this was mentioned when I first contacted him and before I posted this message.
To start with, I only deal face to face with strangers.
Secondly, anyone dumb enough to believe that load of crap must lead a rough life getting screwed all the time.

Forest#2

Threads
No way would I buy a mower on-line, especially a used one.

Bad enough trying to buy one while doing face to face asnd inspection and asking the previous owner questions.
When doing such I'm checking out the seller more than I am the mower/equipment.
We all have heard this line, It was running good when I parked it or it was running good until i installed a new belt and it quit working.

But I'm a paranoid type of person and do not trust anyone. I even get more nervous/cautious if someone gets behind me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is more idiot suckers out there than I care to think about. They are always looking for something for nothing and always getting burned.

And they then bring in the equipment and start telling me how to fix it. I just tell them if they know some much about how to fix it fix themselves and I walk away. I no longer care to listen to them whine about getting ripped off. They get what they ask for. They pay for the correct repairs or go somewhere else.