Scag zero turn Kohler 18hp Magnum

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure you have a known good spark plug. then unplug the kill wire going to the module, and crank the engine. If no spark then replace the module. If you have spark, then the problem is someplace within the wiring harness, like short, bare wire rubbing frame, bad safety switch, etc.

RaulMcCai

Threads
First make sure you have a known good spark plug. then unplug the kill wire going to the module, and crank the engine. If no spark then replace the module. If you have spark, then the problem is someplace within the wiring harness, like short, bare wire rubbing frame, bad safety switch, etc.

OK Great what does the module look like or rather where is it in the shematic?

Interestingly I wrote to Kohler and gave them the model and serial number off my engine
As you might guess serial numbers are very specific data so it would lead directly to my exact engine, the one in my driveway.

This is the reply from Kohler:

Good Morning Raul,

The oil sensor should be in between the cylinder heads.

Thank you,
[name omitted]

Ok Kohler says it's between the cylinders. Odd how none of the manuals show this.
Anyway I need to figure out what that actually means. Might it be under a shroud?

Also on planet bizzarro I wrote to Scag and they said this:
Good Morning Mr. Raul,

Thank you for contacting us with your question.

The Kohler engines that we installed on SSZ mowers were not equipped with the optional oil sensor.

I hope that this information will be helpful.
Thank you,
[name omitted]
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Scag Power Equipment

So I wrote him back asking this"
Thank you [name omitted], for the prompt reply.

If there is no oil sensor what would explain a no spark condition when the oil is low or too high?
Also what would explain a no spark condition when the engine is hot after say 30 - 40 , minutes of mowing?
please advise

thanks
Raul

And his reply is this:

Good Morning,

These are both very difficult questions to answer without being able to personally inspect your mower.

A no-spark condition when the engine is hot may suggest a problem with one of the engine ignition components.

There is nothing on the mower as it was originally built that will drop the spark due to a high or low oil level in the engine.

I might suggest that you ask your local dealer to check into this for you.

All the best,
[name omitted]
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Scag Power Equipment

So I shall be looking for the senor between the pistons and go after the ignition module.
But I still need to figure out what the module looks like and to locate it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will need to remove the blower housing to access the ignition module. It is located next to the flywheel and has the spark plug wire attached to it.

RaulMcCai

Threads
thanks, I'll pull it off Sunday.
Gott a be cheaper to order a new one than to pay some one to haul it off and do it for me.

RaulMcCai

Threads
OMG Electronic ignition?
What a laugh. That is a magneto. Different geometry but the same technology that has been on small engines for ever. I had magnetos on my 1968 Triumph Tiger.

The thing says it wants to be 0.010 from the flywheel. I got exactly that thickness in roofing flashing installed the new one and away I went.

Tomorrow or monday I'll run it on a three acre stretch and see if it cuts out.

Last edited:

RaulMcCai

Threads
Thanh you guys for your input and thank you ILENGINE. You nailed it~!!
It was the magneto coil.
After replacing it, I ran the thing today for an extended period and she ran like a top.

Milli milli grazi ~!!