Scag Kawasaki Engine dosen't charge the battery

Vernon L

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can start the engine with a full battery charge, but after using it for awhile it dies and the voltage in the battery is 9.3V.

It will not start unless the battery is fully charged or it is jumped via another vehicle. I have checked the voltage with a low battery 11 to12 and the tractor will start, but while runnng the voltage never increases to charge the battery.

It appears that the alternator is not functioning. Is there some trouble shhoting to determine the cause of my problem? HELP

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My ESP is not working properly and the government no longer allows me to tap into the survallience satalites, so you are going to have to provide us with the engine model and serial numbers before we can help you. Different engines have different charging systems and being an old fart my eyesight is getting bad and I can't see what you are talking about.

Vernon L

Forum Newbie
Threads
My engine serial number is 2KAXS-7452CA it is a 745cc engine 23 HP. I apologize for not including that information earlier. I have checked the stator coil resistance, unregulated stator output and the regulator resistance tests and all are normal. With a fully charged battery the engine will run for 20 to 30 minutes and then die. The fuel system is functioning properly.

I'm stymied.

Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuse in the yellow wire is in the charging system output to the keyswitch, check it. This yellow wire is connected to the keyswitch. When the keyswitch is in the off position, the charging system is isolated to prevent backfeed which will kill the battery. Check the keyswitch if the fuse is OK.
There is a Scag section here on this forum.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you only posted the serial number and not the model number, I am assuming your Kawasaki is in the 600 series. This service manual should help you test your charging system. There is no fuse in the charging circuit, but there could be a diode, depending on which charging system you have. The fuse is probably in the starting circuit.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kaw...ASAKI-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL-99924-2093-01.pdf