SCAG blade options

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am slowly getting ready to get a SCAG SWZT 36".

I am just not sure about the setup for mowing. Right now, I run a 21" mower with standard blades. I mostly bag in May because the grass is long, thick and wet oftenly. In mid June I mostly mulch with that same blade until the season ends.

Now, I don't know what route to take with the SCAG. I was thinking about using the standard blades. I would like to be able to bag and mulch without spending a lot of money on a mulching kit (Hurricane kit is about 350$) and bagger kit. I thought about buying a bagging kit and for mulching just use the standard blades (have done it for two seasons on a 21" no problems) for mulching and get some sort of mulching block or custom made OCDC that can be blocked for mulching. How does this sound?

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I run scag 36" walkbehinds, you shouldn't need to mulch or bag, if want to go ahead and I'm sure someone will argue. here's the deal I run Scag high lift blades, OK that's what blades I use.

now for why you shouldn't need to bag or mulch. the walkbehind will have more blades, higher blade speed, much larger discharge opening and deeper deck, all equaling more efficient days for you mowing.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run scag 36" walkbehinds, you shouldn't need to mulch or bag, if want to go ahead and I'm sure someone will argue. here's the deal I run Scag high lift blades, OK that's what blades I use.

now for why you shouldn't need to bag or mulch. the walkbehind will have more blades, higher blade speed, much larger discharge opening and deeper deck, all equaling more efficient days for you mowing.

I was hoping you would answer. Some yards I have to bag. The grass grows too much in one week. That is why I dont like side discharge. All tho, I have no experience with a big mower.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I was hoping you would answer. Some yards I have to bag. The grass grows too much in one week. That is why I dont like side discharge. All tho, I have no experience with a big mower.

if it where me I'd try just running the mower without all the extras a couple weeks. if you have to just raise the front casters it'll still give you a clean cut but not cutting as much height off if that makes sense. I've aluminum hoppers for the walkbehinds but they are more hassle then they are worth. I can't honestly tell you the last time one was on a walkbehind.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
also its probably twice as important to keep the decks clean on a walkbehind vs a ztr. you'll notice the cut quality degrade immediately when you start to get buildup on the bottom. mulching blades just seem to cause more buildup of clippings. mulching blades are good for some guys but I've never liked them on the walkbehinds.

LoCo86

Threads
also its probably twice as important to keep the decks clean on a walkbehind vs a ztr. you'll notice the cut quality degrade immediately when you start to get buildup on the bottom. mulching blades just seem to cause more buildup of clippings. mulching blades are good for some guys but I've never liked them on the walkbehinds.

I guess it just depends on brands. My Exmark walk behinds have less build up on them when I mulch vs when I just side discharge.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thankyou for the input!

Final question for you Task Force. How about an OCDC? Has that been usefull for you? Don't forget, the yards I do are not as big as yours.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
we had them when we had Dixie choppers and never used them. I know guys say they do to not throw rocks, or clippings exc. I get what they're saying but if you're mowing that low then you're doing it wrong anyways, plan your passes and that'll reduce clippings you have to blow off after you cut.

I don't know what works for everyone I just think a lot of that stuff are novelties and most of the time unnecessary. If you can build it and it works try it, it might be something you really like using, but I wouldn't waste $ on a factory one.

my mowers are a tool, and I don't expect them to last any longer then 4 seasons with good maintenance. so I don't like a bunch of nickel and dime stuff on them. that's the things that will kill your bottom line.

LoCo86

Threads
we had them when we had Dixie choppers and never used them. I know guys say they do to not throw rocks, or clippings exc. I get what they're saying but if you're mowing that low then you're doing it wrong anyways, plan your passes and that'll reduce clippings you have to blow off after you cut. I don't know what works for everyone I just think a lot of that stuff are novelties and most of the time unnecessary. If you can build it and it works try it, it might be something you really like using, but I wouldn't waste $ on a factory one. my mowers are a tool, and I don't expect them to last any longer then 4 seasons with good maintenance. so I don't like a bunch of nickel and dime stuff on them. that's the things that will kill your bottom line.

I have a foot operated ocdc chute on my Exmark lazer z and I use it throughout the day when I'm using my rider. It comes in handy around houses and flower beds but that's about it. You can also transfer the ocdc to another mower when you buy a new one.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to know. Don't forget I dont use my mower as much as you.

I will talk about this with the shop or my friend that has awsome welding and building skills. Maybe he can fab me one for cheap and see how I like it.