Salvagable flywheel?

hanyoukimura

Threads
So I've acquired this sorry mower, a Brute like mine. Guy said his son hit a something and bent the crankshaft. Then for some reason took off the cover, shroud, dipstick, spark plug, and ignition coil then let it set like this outside over the winter until just now.

IMG_9490.jpg

Amazingly it isn't seized despite the neglect, and the crankshaft isn't bent, so I sprayed a little WD-40 in the combustion chamber, drained and changed the oil, cleaned up the dirt, installed a coil and gave it a pull. It almost fired but yanked the cord out of my hand. Closer inspection revealed that the flywheel key is sheared and about a quarter turn off the mark. What has me considered are the small cracks in the flywheel. Is it salvageable or will I need to find a new one?

IMG_9496.jpg

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the second brute mower in the last year that I have seen on the forum that the flywheel cracked. it was suggested to try J.B. Weld on the cracks for a quick fix. If it was me I would replace it with a good used or new flywheel. Make sure you use the correct shear key for your engine as they are made to give before the flywheel or crankshaft does.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are spinning this flywheel over 3000 RPMs and if it comes apart it is like a small explosion. Throw it away before you hurt yourself or someone else. NEVER USE A CRACKED FLYWHEEL OR MOWER BLADE !!!

hanyoukimura

Threads
That's what I figured. Still looks better than the flywheel from the engine that was originally on my Brute, lol.