Safety Switch on control arm and starting

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1] The orange with 12v should drop to zero with the arms out. I tested that out and it does as you said.

When I pull plug out of safety switch my jump across the two orange wires will start engine and even engage clutch and allow blades to run. I turn off clutch as don't want feet to go under deck, just a quick test to see what would run. What seems strange is I pull my jumper off between to orange and engine dies. That seems strange as me pulling my jumper off, is no different than pulling handle back in as that opens circuits( 2 orange wires) and the 2 blues and 1 black were opened when it started as plug was pulled out of safety switch while doing this test and they are all opened anyway when arms pulled in, have tested that with Ohms meter. Now the right arm was out maybe that had something to do with it. Still haven't found any relay.
I wish I had one on the equipment yard to personally look at but it has been a few since last Z254 been in the shop.

But of course it dies if either lap is outboard as the relay de-energizes and the contacts switch the blue wire over to the kill circuit white wire. Apparently they hide that relay very well.

I think it is under the keyswitch panel.

diverjer

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could be there and I wouldn't see it unless I took cover off.

Born2Mow

Threads
View attachment 66440View attachment 66442

Safety switches do become intermittently working due to wear and contact burning.
Several notes...
• I worked on an older Turf Tiger yesterday and noticed they mounted this relay up-side-down inside the console. These relays are fairly reliable, but they are not waterproof. When mounted with the terminals pointed UP, the cap of the relay Can/Will fill with water, shortening the life of the relay and making all sorts of intermittent, hard to diagnose problems appear.

• These relays are common across several dozen vehicles and 3 or 4 makers, meaning you can find them on Amazon and other discount sources. However, there are about 10 "mini-cube relays" that LOOK like this, but are NOT electrically the same. Each of these relays comes with a schematic on the side. You must ensure the picture/schematic is exactly the same. Example: BMW wants $40 for their Bosch starter relay, but by comparing schematics I was able to buy a Hella equivalent off Amazon for $7.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That why I replace them when they fail with waterproof after market ones when I can.

diverjer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I believe I found relay and not number online manual said, will have to look at my own manual, think I know where it's at. No room to work on it from what I took off here (under key,clutch,choke, throttle plate) would have to take cover fender off which is not obvious on how to do. Then I didn't look that hard. Anyway, I don't know if its bad or not, but at least know where it is hidden.

Attachments

• 20230827_180906.jpg
    20230827_180906.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230827_181050.jpg
    20230827_181050.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 11

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp, that is the relay.

Here is some crosses for it. Note I use prefixes to indicate the vendor.
1693230729769.png

Threads
Well I believe I found relay and not number online manual said, will have to look at my own manual, think I know where it's at. No room to work on it from what I took off here (under key,clutch,choke, throttle plate) would have to take cover fender off which is not obvious on how to do. Then I didn't look that hard. Anyway, I don't know if its bad or not, but at least know where it is hidden.
That's the relay. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent on the same issue on my Z254. Checked every wire and switch, as well as possible, on that schematic. Husqvarna doesn't make it easy to check. Replaced then bypassed the seat switch and it started off and on. Mine ended up being the starter solenoid even though it tested correctly. Haven't had an issue since replacing it.

cliffeby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z254 and had a similar problem with the left arm. For over a year, it would cut the engine when it moved just slightly inward. Turned out that the right arm switch was loose. Check it and make sure it is staying closed when the arm is in park. Since I adjusted the right-arm switch, no stalls when unattended in park. I can't recall the cutout functionality, but both switched have to function. It's counterintuitive to have the left arm movement cause a cutout due to a right-arm switch misalignment.