RZT S dead electrically

Notalentbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
I fired up my mower and turned on the blades. Engine started to die. I hit the switch to kill the blades. Engine still died. Now I get nothing electrically. I can jump the solenoid and it cranks fine but won’t fire. I checked the seat switch and it seems to be working. Same with the reverse switch but I don’t think it is in circuit with starting. I’m not sure of any other switches that may come into play. There used to be a little red light by the key switch but it doesn’t come on. Fuse by the solenoid checks good.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Matt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome Matt.
Please post the numbers from the tag under the seat so we can chase up wiring schematic for your mower.
If turning on the blades kills the engine then the mower "thinks" there is no one in the drivers seat
Si that is a fault in the seat switch & / or the wiring to or from the seat switch including any elays which may be present depending upon which Cub we are talking about.

Notalentbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to be clear, as of now it won’t do anything. No crank, no light on the key switch. Can jump the solenoid and it will crank that way. 7E80C7F7-B9C7-4B3F-8149-289BCEF6B840.jpeg7E80C7F7-B9C7-4B3F-8149-289BCEF6B840.jpeg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Using a voltmeter or test light see if you have voltage to "B" terminal on the ignition switch and voltage to "A" with the ignition in run position. Another if voltage is on "A" is if the anti afterfire solenoid carburetor is clicking or not. If no voltage on "B" terminal of switch nothing is going to work.
RZT-S Wiring 2012 and later.JPG
Now ARI Parts have been known to be wrong too.

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using a voltmeter or test light see if you have voltage to "B" terminal on the ignition switch and voltage to "A" with the ignition in run position. Another if voltage is on "A" is if the anti afterfire solenoid carburetor is clicking or not. If no voltage on "B" terminal of switch nothing is going to work.
View attachment 51486
I don’t believe this is the schematic for my mower. Seat switch wires are two yellow and a green. There’s no switch that shuts off the blades when you hit reverse. I will try the switch terminals though.
Thanks, Matt

Notalentbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solved it!
Just to double check everything I did yesterday, I pulled the fuse by the solenoid and checked it with my meter. After a bit of fiddling and scratching the meter probes on the terminals, I got a good reading. I figured there must be some corrosion so I filed the terminals clean. Put it back in and the mower fired right up.
I’d still love to have a copy of the wiring diagram though.

I was also able to disconnect the reverse blade kill switch and everything still works as it should. That’s what I was looking into when it went dead.

Thanks, Matt

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And Matt the diagram was what was in the 2012 and newer RZT-S service manual. Here is the correct 2014 wiring diagram for future reference. I was surprised it was on the IPL on and the ARI Parts network. Strange it still shows a reverse switch.
CUB 17ARACBDS056.JPG

Last edited: