Rust prevention and metal coating

wv109323

Threads
I am working on a Ariens tiller. The tiller has a dog clutch that slides on a splined shaft that engages the tines rotation.. The drive part of the clutch is hooked to linkage that is hand operated through linkage. With time the splined shaft rusts and will not allow the clutch to move along the splines.
I am looking for a solution that will prevent the rust but will still allow the clutch to move on the shaft. I am afraid the grease will attract dirt and worsen the problem. Whatever I use can not build up on the shaft and will not allow clutch movement. Also if a coating is used it must withstand the power transmitted through the shaft without peeling off.
I am open to ideas.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pick up a can or 2 of Lubricating Oil & spray shaft splines, keep tiller covered.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Fluid Film.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Fluid Film too, & it does well.

wv109323

Threads
The shaft is totally enclosed and has no access when the tiller is assembled. I am going to see if I can make some type of access where the shaft can be sprayed without disassembly of the motor from the transmission.
I do have some Fluid Film that I will use. Thanks for the comments.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is my take on the subject of no lube because it collects dust / dirt .
There is dust / dirt there without lube but we can't see it , so then the question is , do we want dry dirt or lubricated dirt . I choose lubricated and even modified my X350 to oil the steering gear bearing and the rack gear gets grease on the teeth .

To the OP
The rust that's there now can be neutralized with acid . It will change color to black .

Last edited: