Runs for a bit, then sputters and dies.

thomasewhite

Forum Newbie
Hello everyone. I have a Murray rear engine, riding lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 875 Series (190 cc) electric start engine. When cold the mower starts up first try and runs well. After a few minutes, it begins to sputter and dies shortly after words. It begins smoking pretty bad as it is sputtering/dying. It does start back up after a few tries, but it immediately begins smoking and sputtering and then dies. I have tried running it without the air filter with no change.
 
I'm sure you already thought of this, but what's your gasoline quality? I had this problem a couple of years ago and realized I was running with a tank from the previous season. I drained it, put new gas in and it ran like a champ.
 
When the same thing happened to my 1986 Murray RER, 8HP B&S, it turned out to be a clogged fuel cap. I cleared the vent hole and the problem was resolved.
 

Attachments

  • 20170609_141617.jpg
    20170609_141617.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top