Runs but doesnt rev up

phayer

Threads
Hello again, i'm not sure if this is a problem from my other posts but i got my briggs and stratton mower running after a year or being stored in the shed.. I prime the carb 3 times as instructed and the mower starts as it should but its not reving up as it should. It idles very low but it increases when i press the primer again for a short period then goes back to idling very low. I have put a new diaphragm on and nothing seems to be blocked is this a lack of fuel issue ?

Any help will be great thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First thing check the governor spring to make sure it hasn't came off or broken. also move the throttle shaft in the carb, to make sure it isn't sticking. It is not uncommon for fuel residue to settle around the bottom of the throttle shaft and make it very sticky, and preventing it from turning.

phayer

Threads
Thanks for your reply i have looked in the top of my carb the throat and the little brass jet is missing will this cause my not revving problem ?

Thanks James.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Get us the model number off of the engine, so we can narrow down what engine and carb you have.

phayer

Threads
This is it

20160220_155908_zpshalshmif.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine cover you removed will have the number on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There appears to be a ring around the intake tube behind the carb. that ring if it comes out will allow air to leak around the tube and could cause problems It should be snapped into the back of the carb. Also on the top of the carb, there is a throttle stop that the throttle shaft butts up against when at full throttle. I have seen the shaft hop that stop and it will prevent the engine from running above an idle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And here I go thinking only my customers could get the butterfly on the wrong side of the throttle stop lug. :confused2:

When you replaced the diaphram did you clean the two filters ?
One on the end of the pick up tube and the other around the main jet ?

phayer

Threads
Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated. Whats on the wrong side ? And yes i cleaned all the filters before refitting .

Thank you.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
phayer, if you look down from the top of the carb, see if you can rotate the throttle shaft counter clockwise. There is a stop right there to prevent the throttle shaft from over rotating, but if the throttle shaft gets turned past that stop, it will cause the engine to idle only.

There is a raised stop just above the outlet of the carb where it connects to the intake pipe. There is a point on the throttle shaft that bumps up against that stop. If the shaft gets rotated past that stop, or gets put in backwards, it will prevent the shaft from rotating to open the throttle. Can't really tell from the picture if it is wrong or not. maybe a better picture from directly above the carb would help, if you don't understand what we are talking about, then we can tell if it is correct or not.