Running on 1 cynlinder

NorthBama

Threads
Glad you got it running neighbor.

ihatetn931

Threads
Well thank you neighbor, not running how i would like it to but both cylinders are running as they should i think.

NorthBama

Threads
What part Tennessee you live neighbor

ihatetn931

Threads
Cookeville, not within town limits but on the outskirts of town.

NorthBama

Threads
Nice area you live in. I live in North Alabama near Huntsville about 100 miles south of Nashville. Have a good day neighbor.

ihatetn931

Threads
Thank you, it's aight. You have a nice day as well.

Now that the offtopic if over.

I got both cylinder running as they should i believe, but when i rev it up it seems to take a little long to go back down to idle, it also seems to miss or backfire when i put it max throttle, One cylinder gets hotter then the other, i dunno if that's normal operation or another issue that has arose, I'm gonna do a lower valve adjustment and see if it still struggles at the compression stroke, i put them all at 005 gonna try 004, really can't try any lower due to my feller gauge dosen't go any lower.

What would cause one cylinder to run hotter then the other?

Both cylinders fire when i take the spark plug off the other side.

It dosen't like to start without the choke even when warm, i noticed there is no carb adjustments so i'm not to sure how to fix that.

ihatetn931

Threads
Funny that you mentioned the carb, i just took it apart and cleaned it again, it still looked fairly clean, now i got it all together and now it won't run without choke, so i guess i did something wrong inside the carb.

I have actually been to that site you linked, that's how i learned to clean the carb.

Gonna eat some lunch then back to work, since i adjusted the carb even tho it won't run without choke, both cylinders seem to be the same temp.

Got the carb issue fixed, Mowed the yard, Ran great while mowing, no struggle mowing at all and i tried it on some thick grass which bogged it down before, it crusied through it like a breeze, I only gave it enough throttle to mow so wasn't wide open, prolly not even half throttle, just enough to spin the blades at cut.

When i did bring it back down to idle it started popping, she no longer needs the choke to start each time, only when cold.

I wanna figure out why it's popping so i'm gonna to some research but if anyone has any idea why, i'd appericate the help.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
So, i got the jumper cables, started it up. It smoked at first cause it was burning all the oil off the pipes from the valve covers, i ran it for about 20 mins to give the battery a good charge, i then shut it off checked both plugs, they were both dry, which means both cylinders were running, so i disconected one side and started it up (i did bad side first) it started right up, then i did the other side and that one started up as well, Now my only issue is i'm getting, not sure if it's a miss or a backfire but when i rev it up to what the throttle handle will go it either misses or backfires but both cylinders are running.

One seems to get hotter then the other, i dunno what could be the cause of that.

I can hear a big diffrence in the engine already, it is a lot louder then what it was, so no telling how long the engine has been running on 1 cylinder.

Gonna wait a day or two and test it out when the lawn needs to be mowed, see if i can notice a power diffrence then before.

When i got it from my cuz, he said it will not idle, well it idles now, i had to adjust the idle cause it was a little high.

I'm gonna take the valve covers off tomorrow and see if any of the push rods have came off or anything is different in them. Don't have the propper lighting outside to do it tonight.

Oh and it only seems to start with the choke, i haven't tested this througly yet, i will prolly do that on the day i gotta mow.

I'm prolly gonna go get a new sparkplug to replace this used spark plug i am using, could be why it's missin or backfiring but i'm not to worried about it atm, i just want to get it running great so i can relie on it when i need to use it.

If I replace one spark plug on a twin, I replace both. You did check that the cooling fins were not plugged?

Walt Conner