Engine Rule out air filter issue?

suomynona

Threads
I have a poulan pro lawn mower and it stalls out often. Now if I even begin to push it and cut it cuts out instantly.

My question is if taking off the air filter and running it results in the same problem, does that rule out needing a new air filter?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely not, engine needs to breathe. First check oil level on dipstick if it's overfull & smells like gas you have a carburetor problem. If oil level is ok check spark plug by removing & inspecting visually. Check fuel cap vent for being open & free of dirt. If your mower is over a year old you need to adjust valves with engine cold. Post engine manufacturer as well as all numbers from engine data plate.

No I did not miss your point, air filter should be replaced yearly unless you have dusty conditions then more often. Have you cleaned underside of deck & removed & inspected blade for cleaning, dressing up with a file & balancing blade. If your blade is buggered up & distorted it needs to be replaced. Model number is missing a number if B&S engine, six characters, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number.

Last edited:

suomynona

Threads
Absolutely not, engine needs to breathe. First check oil level on dipstick if it's overfull & smells like gas you have a carburetor problem. If oil level is ok check spark plug by removing & inspecting visually. Check fuel cap vent for being open & free of dirt. If your mower is over a year old you need to adjust valves with engine cold. Post engine manufacturer as well as all numbers from engine data plate.

I think you missed my point, I meant taking it off just for a few seconds and seeing if it does work then. I did check the oil properly today and its fine.

I might get a filter and find out its not the issue. That is why I asked this question, to possibly avoid that.

9PG02 0085 F1

DOM 0411 14

End.

Possible extra: 2514049

end.

I think this is the model number of some sort: PR500N21SH

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes removing it and testing it will let you know if you have an almost plugged air filter. But they are cheap and should be changed at least every year and more if in dusty area. A restricted air filter make engine run hotter. Something you will really not notice until it is very restricted and it starts over heating. So replace it often

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the air filter is that badly choked, you would dissappear behind all that black smoke belching from the exhaust and the engine would sound like it had the choke on full.
The only thing that moves about when you push the mower is the oil in the sump, the fuel in the bowl and the fuel in the tank.
SO prime suspect is water in the fuel tank or carb bowl which sloshes when you move & gets sucked into carb.
No 2 suspect would be debris in the fuel tank, lines or bowl cutting off the fuel supply but that tends to have a lag after you push and worse when you stop pushing
No 3 suspect would be a loose wire / bare wire on the magneto cut out or as this is a push mower a control wire from the handle bars.

Overall poor performance could be a clogged filter, either type but neither should be sensative to movements.

suomynona

Threads
If the air filter is that badly choked, you would dissappear behind all that black smoke belching from the exhaust and the engine would sound like it had the choke on full.
The only thing that moves about when you push the mower is the oil in the sump, the fuel in the bowl and the fuel in the tank.
SO prime suspect is water in the fuel tank or carb bowl which sloshes when you move & gets sucked into carb.
No 2 suspect would be debris in the fuel tank, lines or bowl cutting off the fuel supply but that tends to have a lag after you push and worse when you stop pushing
No 3 suspect would be a loose wire / bare wire on the magneto cut out or as this is a push mower a control wire from the handle bars.

Overall poor performance could be a clogged filter, either type but neither should be sensative to movements.

Thanks for the response. I would like to clarify, I meant by when I move the mower is the blades/engine are not just free spinning. In other words the pressure of cutting grass and using the engine's power is what shuts it off. If its just rolling on a flat surface there isnt a stall.

It doesnt seem to allow any use of the engines power but sometimes It would be working and stall like half-way through the lawn. It must be getting worse (what ever the issue is).

I didnt feel to enthusiastic regarding the air filter because taking the foam off doesnt prove any success. I figured if the filter is the cause then taking the filter off temporarily just to see would work but it hasnt.

suomynona

Threads

No I did not miss your point, air filter should be replaced yearly unless you have dusty conditions then more often. Have you cleaned underside of deck & removed & inspected blade for cleaning, dressing up with a file & balancing blade. If your blade is buggered up & distorted it needs to be replaced. Model number is missing a number if B&S engine, six characters, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number.

I just shot a video of trying to start it here: https://youtu.be/CGqgjrNFcaY

It doesnt want to start even at a stand still at the moment, as you can see!

Spec: http://imgur.com/rV5sEdX

Filter: http://imgur.com/7RevITe

Update: Switched out air filter after cleaning, adding oil, ect. and I managed to do about half my lawn until it started stalling yet again. :(

Last edited:

suomynona

Threads

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just shot a video of trying to start it here: https://youtu.be/CGqgjrNFcaY

It doesnt want to start even at a stand still at the moment, as you can see!

Spec: http://imgur.com/rV5sEdX

Filter: http://imgur.com/7RevITe

Update: Switched out air filter after cleaning, adding oil, ect. and I managed to do about half my lawn until it started stalling yet again. :(

I finally looked at your pictures. You need to remove the engine cover and clean under it. I bet you will fine grass and dirt under it.

suomynona

Threads
I finally looked at your pictures. You need to remove the engine cover and clean under it. I bet you will fine grass and dirt under it.

So the plastic outside on top off? ps: why do you suspect that?