RSD Mulching kit Pictures

JohnCardin

Threads
I meant to take more pictures but I guess I got too excited.

I had bought the mulching kit with the mower but waited until year 2 to start using it.

I jacked up the mower and then put the front wheels on ramps and then chalked the rear wheels
IMG_3202.JPG

I ended up jamming a log into the deck to get the blades to be still enough to get them on and off. I didn't particularly like that way (as it was a PITA) so I may have to track down the "blade removal tool" at some point - no pics as I was a little frustrated.

After install - Under Deck Pictures
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG

Notice how clean the deck is underneath. That's with about 20+ hours on it. I'll take a picture this weekend with what it looks like after the kit has got some green on it.

Discharge cover
IMG_3196.JPG

Left Over Parts
IMG_3195.JPG

Overall, the kit part wasn't difficult to install. The blades and getting them still enough to get the torque right was a little frustrating. I enjoy not having the discharge chute anymore.

After 3 mows with the kit installed I'm still up in the air on weather or not I want to keep it on or not. This spring has been extra wet down here in Georgia and my fescue really is happy and requires mowing every 3-5 days if I want to keep it under control. When I'm in a hurry, there is alot of clumping that builds up at the end of my rows and it's noticeably working a little harder if I try to push it through the taller stuff when going fast. I don't remember the side discharge doing this and I have to imagine that it's only because of the mulching kit and that it's got a lot more grass that it has to cut up under the deck. I end up having to go slower which isn't that bad of a thing as I enjoy it. The wetter grass also ends up caking the inside of the deck that does require cleaning after each mow. I tried to leave it on there one time and i believe it started fermenting in my garage. I never had to clean the inside of the deck with the side discharge so I don't know if this is just how mulching kits work or what.

My Bermuda is just now coming up and I've not found any issues with cutting it with the mulching kit. At least not yet, I'll give it a few more months before passing judgement.

Pro
- It mulches
- no side discharge chute makes it easier to park in garage

Con
- leaves clumps if mowing too fast on wet grass
- leaves grass build up on inside of deck

If anyone can give me feedback on if my con's are unique to my setup or are just related to mulching in general, I would appreciate it.

John

Last edited:

chevitz

Threads
Thank you for your review, i was wondering about how well the mulching kit worked. Please give us a follow up in about a month or two.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
try a home made blade blocker.

Attachments

• Blade blocker 2014.jpg
    Blade blocker 2014.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 58

West

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cut with the mulch blades and baffles in place the first two times I cut this year grass damp lots of build up afterwards under the deck with yard clumping.
Mowed with the two inner baffles removed same results grass drier no difference .
Replaced baffles grass even drier same results still lots of build up under the deck.
Temperature was in the mid 50's on all mowings so still lots of moisture present.
I use a mojack pro to lift and wash out underneath but still takes way to much time to wash out the grass
Today its dry out temp in the low 70's we'll see how today's results are.
I may take off the kit if results are the same or I gotta invent a drive over mower deck wash rack that I can turn the blades on and have it self clean .

Kremeneon

Threads
I may take off the kit if results are the same or I gotta invent a drive over mower deck wash rack that I can turn the blades on and have it self clean .

I need to make one of these.

West

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update on Mulching kit :note 54 inch deck leveled of course, always started each mow with a clean dry deck, engine maxed, belts tight, mowing speed moderate, deck height 3 inches.
Has not rained in 5 days since last mowing, Temp 72 time 2 pm grass dry perfect for mowing.
Some clumping from grass build up dropping from under deck while mowing but not as bad as previously experienced with damper grass.
Underside of deck was about half of the build up previously experienced but I noticed with the dryer grass build up it was tougher to hose off than with the wetter grass.
Still better than using a bag and shoot easier to maneuver around edges with either side of the deck free of discharge shoot, no storage or clean up also.