Roper Riding Mower

wwestfall

Forum Newbie
Someone just gave me a Roper Riding Mower 12 hp model LT120AR. They said engine "seized" and was told to just junk it.
Does anyone have a repair manual or location where I can get more info to repair?
Thanks
Bill
 
I would first find out if is really seized try turning by hand with no spark plug in it and check oil add if necessary. If it really is seized you need to consider the cost of repairing/rebuilding the engine.

Personally if it wasn't seized I would try to fix it. If it is I would walk away before investing any money. Could get a few bucks for scrap
 
If the engine is seized I am going to first ask just what doses it have for a engine? And other thing would be are you sure it only needs a engine and not other work? Is this just going to be a hobby to get this mower running for your own use or is it something for resale. If its for resale I would be careful what it needs for repairs because you can get over your head fast and have more money into it when what you will get back. As I see it for a hobby money doesn't count and if so go for it.
 
I never owned a riding mower before so I'm not even sure what I'm looking at when I open the hood. Oh sure, I know what the engine is but what do I turn to see if it's "seized"?..... The "Blades"? Thanks!
 
Just trying to see if I could get it going for my own use! I know it's a Briggs/Stratton 12hp motor but I guess you wanted to know the model. I'll check and get back!

If the engine is seized I am going to first ask just what doses it have for a engine? And other thing would be are you sure it only needs a engine and not other work? Is this just going to be a hobby to get this mower running for your own use or is it something for resale. If its for resale I would be careful what it needs for repairs because you can get over your head fast and have more money into it when what you will get back. As I see it for a hobby money doesn't count and if so go for it.
 
I never owned a riding mower before so I'm not even sure what I'm looking at when I open the hood. Oh sure, I know what the engine is but what do I turn to see if it's "seized"?..... The "Blades"? Thanks!

The fan shroud should spin without the spark plug in it can try turning it by hand or grab the crank shaft under the engine and try to spin that
 
Just found the Briggs & Stratton model number is 281707 0133-01. My neighbor was able to turn the rotating screen with no effort and said it did offer some resistance every now and then indicating compression!

If the engine is seized I am going to first ask just what doses it have for a engine? And other thing would be are you sure it only needs a engine and not other work? Is this just going to be a hobby to get this mower running for your own use or is it something for resale. If its for resale I would be careful what it needs for repairs because you can get over your head fast and have more money into it when what you will get back. As I see it for a hobby money doesn't count and if so go for it.
 
Turns Freely with indications of compression (per my neighbor) Let's see what tomorrow brings! ;)

The fan shroud should spin without the spark plug in it can try turning it by hand or grab the crank shaft under the engine and try to spin that
 
You need to go to the local library and get a book on small engines repair. Just maybe you should also buy yourself a basic tool set? Just tear right into that mower with maybe some help from someone who knows. Good luck
 
Back
Top