Right Type of Blade After Adding Mulch Kit on Simplicity Deck

mikulskn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Right Type of Blade After Adding Mulch Kit on Simplicity Deck
I have a 44 inch 3-Blade simplicity deck on the rider I had purchased used. Simplicity deck number 1693553.

I then bought a used mulch kit (without blades) on craigslist to put on the deck.

I am wondering if I should get a different set of blades that are "mulching blades" to be used in conjunction with this mulch kit. But I don't know how to identify the type of blades that are already on my deck.

I have read about high-lift blades and mulch blades, but not sure how to identify the blades that I have. I have attached pictures of the deck and blades (all three blades are the same).

Are the blades I have mulching blades, and I should just leave them on? Or any recommendations on new mulch blades?

Thank you.IMG_3667.jpgIMG_3666.jpg

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your blades look to be side discharge blades, not mulching but try them before changing to another style. With the mulch plug they may do the job you are looking for.

The attached article may help solve some of the confusion. The original mulching blades found on many walk behind mowers were the x configuration the below article calls a+ design. In more recent times the gators seem to be popular.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/...ceBetweenMulchingBladesandHighLiftBlades.html

mikulskn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am speculating as well that the current blades I have are not mulching blades and direct too much of the clippings to one side.

I see you mentioned Gator blades, and in just searching around the internet, it seems there is mixed messages whether gator blades should be used with a mulch kit. Some say to not use gator blades if you are blocking the discharge with a mulch kit.

When I go to OREGON brand Lawn Mower Blades to see what it says about gator blades, it highlights "superior side discharge" as an attribute. So makes me wonder since I don't want side discharge attributes in a blade.

Do you have any opinion on the gators? Or do you have any opinion on a different set of mulching blades?

Thanks so much.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your blades are high lift blades.

You can use gator blades with a mulch kit. As long as the grass is not real wet and you are only cutting no more then a inch off the grass.

I side discharge with mine.

mikulskn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Based on the previous replies, looks like I should give the 16-1/8" gator blades a try. When I go to Oregon Gator Blades website and look for a replacement for the Simplicity 1704100 blade, it gives me two choices per the attached picture. I can get the G3 (p/n 90-685) or G5 (p/n 590-685)

Per the previous posts, it seems that I do NOT want the higher lift version (G5's). Would it be correct that I should go with the G3's? Are G3's more of a medium lift?

Never thought I would learn so much about mower blades!! http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/images/icons/icon10.png

Gator Blades.JPG

clpolcar

Threads
I believe that there will be a little different lift to the blades. But the g5 will be built better then the g3. I bought the g6 for my Ferris and they do a good job. I also just throw most of the stuff out the side or bag it in a side catcher.

1striper1

Threads
I believe that there will be a little different lift to the blades. But the g5 will be built better then the g3. I bought the g6 for my Ferris and they do a good job. I also just throw most of the stuff out the side or bag it in a side catcher.

Aren't the G5's thicker and/or have a longer cutting edge than the G3's? I like them much better than the std high lift blades on my Simplicity....both the Broadmoor I still have and the Prestige I no longer have. Make sure your deck is pitched UP in the front 1/4".

carscw is right......the more grass you try to cut off and the wetter the grass is the worse your mulching performance will be.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aren't the G5's thicker and/or have a longer cutting edge than the G3's? I like them much better than the std high lift blades on my Simplicity....both the Broadmoor I still have and the Prestige I no longer have. Make sure your deck is pitched UP in the front 1/4". carscw is right......the more grass you try to cut off and the wetter the grass is the worse your mulching performance will be.

I like the G5's
But got a good deal on a box of 20 G3's for my toro. So will be tuning them this year.