Riding Mower Transmission making grinding noise

CraigslistGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys,

I got a Craftsman LT1000 midel number 917.271643.
It sat for about 3 years before I decided to fix it and get it running. I replaced the engine and it runs fine.

The only issue I'm having is when I put the mower in gear, it makes grinding noise. Its not that noticible and mower moves forward / backward as it use to before. However, recently I tried to use a dethatcher with a block on it, and the griding noise got extremely loud and the mower barely would move foreard. Removing the dethatcher, it again moves normal but the grinding sound is still there (just not as loud).

Checked the transmission oil, and it was ful, but still changed it with 20w50. Noise is still there.

I pulled the transmission lever where it stops the transmission from moving and put it in gear and looked under the mower. All the pulleys seem fine and there was no noise. So it only comes when mower moves forward / reverse.

Anyone got any idea what might be the issue or sugguestions as to what else I should check for?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a mower with F_N_R lever then the sliding dog on the gear box and perhaps the crown gear itself are sending you a message of goodby .
Usually F will be noisy & R which you use less will be quiet

CraigslistGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have a mower with F_N_R lever then the sliding dog on the gear box and perhaps the crown gear itself are sending you a message of goodby .
Usually F will be noisy & R which you use less will be quiet
This is the old school 6 speed (image attached).

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200530-103736_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200530-103736_Gallery.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 8

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t have a geared transmission, but a hydrostatic transmission. Unless someone has switched transmissions, which I doubt, as you say you checked the oil. Gear transmissions use grease, not oil. Look on the side of the tranny and see if you can find any numbers to help us out.

CraigslistGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
You don’t have a geared transmission, but a hydrostatic transmission. Unless someone has switched transmissions, which I doubt, as you say you checked the oil. Gear transmissions use grease, not oil. Look on the side of the tranny and see if you can find any numbers to help us out.
I'm sorry for the lack of my knowledge. Yes this is hydrostatic transmission. I just meant there is no F N R. Its just lever. The further you move it the faster it goes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It time to look a new to the mower transaxle as that Hydro-gear transaxle 322-0510 is toast. Needs a new center section but it NLA.