Rider Mower battery question

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok thanks. Just one last question: if I take dead battery to autozone and they test it and say it's still good, I will have to take it home and put on a charger to fully charge right?
If it will crank and start the engine don't do anything but maybe clean the terminals and cable ends with sandpaper until at least 1 area shines as new metal . Your mower will take care of any decline in volts , it's made to do that . If it is one that takes water check that and if low add distilled water .Google may be your friend on the water subject .

puppypaws

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always crank all engines in winter months about every 6 weeks and let them run for around 30 minutes. This keeps the engine's internal parts lubricated while maintaining the battery voltage.

bt-99

Threads
If it will crank and start the engine don't do anything but maybe clean the terminals and cable ends with sandpaper until at least 1 area shines as new metal . Your mower will take care of any decline in volts , it's made to do that . If it is one that takes water check that and if low add distilled water .Google may be your friend on the water subject .
It probably won't crank engine if I take it in to auto zone cause that would be the only reason I would take it to there is if it doesnt crank. Unless when they check it, that puts enough charge on it to where it will crank then

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It probably won't crank engine if I take it in to auto zone cause that would be the only reason I would take it to there is if it doesnt crank. Unless when they check it, that puts enough charge on it to where it will crank then
===========================================================
Won;t crank and won't start are 2 completely different problems .

I said " if it will crank and start " continue

bt-99

Threads
I meant
===========================================================
Won;t crank and won't start are 2 completely different problems .

I said " if it will crank and start " continue
I meant if i take battery to auto zone, it is too weak to start mower

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
bt-99, a few points to help you out beyond what you asked. First off, a fully charged 12V lead acid mower battery is actually 12.6 volts. Second, a 12V battery doesn't ever really go to zero. Interestingly, a mower battery needs 12 volts (or maybe slightly less) to start, depending on the mower and condition. At 10.5 volts the battery is considered unserviceable. My suggestion is to spend a little on a trickle charger and tester, then handle it yourself.
Bull on that they near go to zero I personally had completely dead batteries that were rechargeable. Trying the ignition on one with an after fire solenoid and go back a month later.

And even seen a couple that have flipped the charge ie positive becomes negative and negative become positive.

GearHead36

Threads
Get a battery tender for every lead-acid battery that you don't use over the Winter.

Also, mower batteries don't need to be disconnected for storage. Most cars are never totally "off". I.e. they always draw some current. If storing a car, then yes, disconnect the negative battery terminal. If storing a mower, don't bother. I've yet to see a mower that draws current when it's "off", and my current rider has EFI.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
2 C clamps make connecting and disconnecting this battery takes less than 30 seconds .
They also make good handles to transport a battery when standing vertical .

If you don't have the skill to do this please don't .
1710760921008.jpeg

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I always crank all engines in winter months about every 6 weeks and let them run for around 30 minutes. This keeps the engine's internal parts lubricated while maintaining the battery voltage.

When you are running the engine at wide open throttle you are charging the engine from 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Therefore you are literally trickle charging the battery for only 30 minutes. In reality the battery will often trickle charge for several hours. So starting your engine throughout the winter and letting it run 30 minutes is of no real benefit to the engine or the battery.

puppypaws

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you are running the engine at wide open throttle you are charging the engine from 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Therefore you are literally trickle charging the battery for only 30 minutes. In reality the battery will often trickle charge for several hours. So starting your engine throughout the winter and letting it run 30 minutes is of no real benefit to the engine or the battery.
When your battery is already charged, a trickle charge for 30 minutes warms and conditions the battery. I've been a farmer for 60 years and know that running an engine at timed intervals through the winter months to lubricate the internal moving parts is far better than allowing an engine to sit with no attention for several months.