Riddle for you

jonvh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a riddle for you:
"What has an engine that attempts to start, has a spark at the plugs, clean carburetor and air filter, gas in the tank, yet will not start up?"

Answer:
My lawnmower!

Ignition coil is good and I'm getting a spark. Fuel filter is clean and fuel is getting to the carburetor. I haven't pulled it apart to confirm, but when I spin the flywheel by hand, I can hear the valves opening and closing. I'm not sure that brand matters, but it's a Briggs & Stratton. Battery has good charge. Any idea of where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if additional information is needed.
-Jonathan

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cute
Brand and model numbers DO MATTER as does the type of MOWER.
Your problems fit a broken fuel solenoid perfectly but if it is a push mower then you won't have one.

SO very general
Tip a small amout of fuel down the plug hole & try to start.
Engine fires = ignition timing is good
Do the same at the carburettor & engine fires then valve timing is good and you have a fuel supply problem or choke problem.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Battery has good charge? Then maybe ridding mower? IF so,check the flywheel key and next time when asking an engine question, post the engine make and model number, makes a difference.

Walt Conner

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can hear the valves opening and closing, you’ve got great hearing, plus something is not right in the valve train. You should not be able to hear valve movement.

jonvh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cute
Brand and model numbers DO MATTER as does the type of MOWER.
Your problems fit a broken fuel solenoid perfectly but if it is a push mower then you won't have one.

SO very general
Tip a small amout of fuel down the plug hole & try to start.
Engine fires = ignition timing is good
Do the same at the carburettor & engine fires then valve timing is good and you have a fuel supply problem or choke problem.
This is on a Briggs & Stratton 42E707, circa 1994. I don't see a fuel solenoid valve. Do they all have them? Also, got a backfire when I put some fuel down the carburetor, then nothing.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that engine,type and code numbers will be helpful.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you know the history of that motor? Did it run last fall? When you rotate the engine by hand can you feel compression on both cylinders?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is on a Briggs & Stratton 42E707, circa 1994. I don't see a fuel solenoid valve. Do they all have them? Also, got a backfire when I put some fuel down the carburetor, then nothing.
So what happens with fuel down the plug hole ?
Backfire, through the carb or through the exhaust .
IT makes a difference and as per Rivets post the full number is really needed.
And have you checke tosee if the timing key in the flywhel is still in the right position ?
No need to pull the flywheel, just undi the fastener and check that both halves of the key slots make a perfect square .

biggertv

Threads
I've got a riddle for you:
"What has an engine that attempts to start, has a spark at the plugs, clean carburetor and air filter, gas in the tank, yet will not start up?"

Answer:
My lawnmower!

Ignition coil is good and I'm getting a spark. Fuel filter is clean and fuel is getting to the carburetor. I haven't pulled it apart to confirm, but when I spin the flywheel by hand, I can hear the valves opening and closing. I'm not sure that brand matters, but it's a Briggs & Stratton. Battery has good charge. Any idea of where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if additional information is needed.
-Jonathan
Sheared Key. If it's too buggered up to fix, put flywheel in correct position, drill through fly and crank install roll pin or similar.

jonvh

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what happens with fuel down the plug hole ?
Backfire, through the carb or through the exhaust .
IT makes a difference and as per Rivets post the full number is really needed.
And have you checke tosee if the timing key in the flywhel is still in the right position ?
No need to pull the flywheel, just undi the fastener and check that both halves of the key slots make a perfect square .
Sorry, it's been a couple of days since I've been able to look at it again. When I put gas down the plug hole it backfires. Full number is 42E707-2631-E1. Would the flywheel key be sheared from top to bottom? I can view it from the top if I remove the large nut. It is square. But, obviously, I can't see the bottom of the key.