Reverse Problem with my new Gravely

Redtro

Threads
I recently purchased a new Gravely Compact Pro 34 for home use. I'd never used a z-turn mower before and it took a little getting use to. One thing slowly begin to become apparent. The right side reverse was not NEARLY as fast or mobile as the left side reverse. I noticed that the steering arm down near the seat was making contact with the frame when reversing which limited it's movement. With the mower off, I released the brake and pulled both the left and right steering arms back as far as they would go and discovered that the left side will pull back about 1 to 1.5 inches more than the right side. The right side only has about 3/16 inch clearance before making contact with frame. I took it back to the dealer and they said this is the second Compact pro that has been returned with this problem. He also said there is no adjustment for this and Gravely has no fix. Reverse is suppose to be about 3 MPH, but mine will not do more that .5 MPH. The right side is so weak that it will not climb any incline in reverse....and the tires are not slipping. It's just that limited. I've googled this problem and don't see any similar issues with this mower. Any suggestions?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did the dealer replace the unit or tell you $hi+ happens? Just curious.

Redtro

Threads
No offer to replace. Suggested that they would let me know when/if Gravely comes out with a fix.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Hello Mr customer. We just sold you an expensive mower with a known problem. If the Mfgr comes out with a fix we will put it on. Possibly free of charge, possibly not. It depends. Sorry there is a Mfgr defect with your unit but $hi+ happens. Thank you for you business, please recommend us to your friends."

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you get no help from the dealer, who should not be allowed to sell toothbrushes then contact Gravely directly.
The reason there is no factory fix could very well be because Gravely do not know about the problem.
Before you contact Gravely send you dealer an email or two asking about what they can do to fix both your & the other customers mowers.
Try to be inquisitive & not aggressive and finish with a note that some bastard has stolen your phone ( so naturally you do not answer it )
Then when you take your complaint to Gravely it is not a case of "he said this " you have the undeniable written proof

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just hard to believe that any company would put out a product like this. I wonder if that series machine had a running change to a different deck and frame design or something just as this one was going out the door. Really strange. I'd not sit and wait for a solution.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been reading reviews on Gravely's own site for this mower. Ouch!

Redtro

Threads
If you get no help from the dealer, who should not be allowed to sell toothbrushes then contact Gravely directly.
The reason there is no factory fix could very well be because Gravely do not know about the problem.
Before you contact Gravely send you dealer an email or two asking about what they can do to fix both your & the other customers mowers.
Try to be inquisitive & not aggressive and finish with a note that some bastard has stolen your phone ( so naturally you do not answer it )
Then when you take your complaint to Gravely it is not a case of "he said this " you have the undeniable written proof
When talking to the shop (dealer) about this issue, he told me he spoke to Gravely about this when the first one came back and that is how he knew there was no fix for this issue. This shop has only sold two 2020 units with mine being one of the two. For both to come back with this issue disturbs me.

gainestruk

Threads
If it were me I would ask dealer for my money back or direct trade for another model with no money exchanged if other model is more expensive, after the first one he should have at least disclosed possible problem from other customer especially since he knew from factory they knew they had problem and no fix before selling to you.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it were me I would ask dealer for my money back or direct trade for another model with no money exchanged if other model is more expensive, after the first one he should have at least disclosed possible problem from other customer especially since he knew from factory they knew they had problem and no fix before selling to you.

Very good point there. Dealer sold you a defective product - and knew it.