restoring 1996 MTD yard machine

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Flip the mower on its side and lift it by the wheel?

Don't try hitting it off with a hammer. You will bend the wheel and could break the C clip in the rearend that holds the axle in.
You can heat the wheel up and tap it off or just cut it off and get a new one.

You already have to whole mower taking apart just take the rearend out

Besides if you take it off thats another area you can clean and inspect that you couldnt get to before.

silver1

Threads
I really didn't want to take the rear end off the mower. Is there any other way to do this?

I hit mine with a 2x4 and broke the ring clip inside the axle, and it came right out, wheel and axle together.
Took both to a motorcycle repair shop and with the help of a 12 TON press we separated the two! Took the axle
apart and replaced the clips on both axles.
I have another axle assembly that both wheels are frozen to the axles. I tried some of the suggestions from this forum and
and nothings has worked. I put tubes in both tires and they are still up. The rear end is one of dirtiest parts!
Remove and clean. Paint frame inside and out. Repair tires. Get to work mowing!
:biggrin:

metz12

Threads
if you flip the thing sideways, you can try melting a cheap candle and melt the wax between the wheel and the axle. i know this works with the transaxle pulleys that are stuck on the input shaft.

searsboy

Threads
if you flip the thing sideways, you can try melting a cheap candle and melt the wax between the wheel and the axle. i know this works with the transaxle pulleys that are stuck on the input shaft.

I've seen that on YouTube really cool and it worked for the man in the video. The steps to take are simple in the video too.

Rknash48

Forum Newbie
Threads
96mtd provide the pictures is great!