Walk behind Restoration HR215 SXA

Chris Parman

Threads
Robert, I just purchased the shop manual with Supplements Y & Z from Honda Power Equipment. I was concentrating on the transmission and maybe missed the piston ring details ? Also I have rebuilt the rear axle adjusters with sealed bearings, so far they are working great. This is the only Achilles heel with these machines. See photo.View attachment 29981View attachment 29982

wfsway, I'm currently restoring a HR214. I have finished rebuilding the GXV120 to perfection. Now I am concentrating on the Aluminum deck, 2-speed transmission, etc. In this postmortems you stated that you went away from the OEM adjuster wheel bracket bearing to a Sealed bearings. I was wondering if you have the part number for the Sealed bearings you used? Thank you, Sir.

mahaffeymj

Threads
Robert, I just purchased the shop manual with Supplements Y & Z from Honda Power Equipment. I was concentrating on the transmission and maybe missed the piston ring details ? Also I have rebuilt the rear axle adjusters with sealed bearings, so far they are working great. This is the only Achilles heel with these machines. See photo.View attachment 29981View attachment 29982
how do you get the old outside ring off the adjuster to press in the new bearings as this ring appears welded or pressed in. thanks

mahaffeymj

Threads
Well got the old bearing out, but how can you get the new ones in? tried the heating up the rear wheel adjuster in oven and bearings in ice(not dry ice though) trick , to no avail. Since adjuster not flat , but curved/wavy it makes it more difficult. Any suggestions? thanks

Chris Parman

Threads
Well got the old bearing out, but how can you get the new ones in? tried the heating up the rear wheel adjuster in oven and bearings in ice(not dry ice though) trick , to no avail. Since adjuster not flat , but curved/wavy it makes it more difficult. Any suggestions? thanks

I either used a Large socket or cups from a ball joint press kit and a very large vise. By the way I found these sealed bearings that could work in the rear adjuster bracket. I already pressed out one bearing per the rear adjuster. I am going to pressed out the other bearing per the rear adjuster and order two of the bearings below and give them a try.

The OE Bearing is 15mm I.D. x 35mm O.D x 14mm

The Sealed Flanged bearing (From VXB Bearings) below are 15mm I.D. x 35mm O.D x 11mm. I believe these are an exact fit and sealed bearing.

Last edited:

mahaffeymj

Threads
thanks for info , Chris. I tried a vise with some large fender washers and no go for me, but will try your method or even better ask a more mechanically inclined friend down the street. I got these bearings off ebay and know nsk is good stuff. https://www.ebay.com/itm/291923069622

Chris Parman

Threads
thanks for info , Chris. I tried a vise with some large fender washers and no go for me, but will try your method or even better ask a more mechanically inclined friend down the street. I got these bearings off ebay and know nsk is good stuff. https://www.ebay.com/itm/291923069622

mahaffeymj: You can't go wrong with the NSK bearings. The only problem is you will need to stop at the 3.0 mm point because those bearing are not the "flange" type.

mahaffeymj

Threads
was able to get mine in amazingly. I found when trying to put in at first and upon holding the bearing in the bracket up to light that the indentations on one side of the bracket where the machine pressed the original bearings in caused a very slight bulge in the bracket. I took a rat tail file and judiciously remove a tiny bit of the bracket(about 2mm around circumference) in those areas. this seemed to help quite a bit. of course they may fall out in a month too :) .

Last edited:

Chris Parman

Threads
was able to get mine in amazingly. I found when trying to put in at first and upon holding the bearing in the bracket up to light that the indentations on one side of the bracket where the machine pressed the original bearings in caused a very slight bulge in the bracket. I took a rat tail file and judiciously remove a tiny bit of the bracket(about 2mm) in those areas. this seemed to help quite a bit. of course they may fall out in a month too :) .

mahaffeymj: Here are the bearings pressed in.

20201223_153215.jpg 20201223_154129.jpg