Replacing foam padding on push mower bars

waylonJ

Threads
I have a couple of nice mowers with torn foam padding on the area you grab to push the mower. It does not have a split seam on the bottom or anything so I think I would need to remove the upper bar and lubricate and slide the padding onto the handle - sound right? Any other options?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep
You got it in one .
And hair spray makes the best lubricant , if you work fast.
Once dry it becomes a glue motorcyclist use it all the time to replace hand grips.
Picture this in your head.
A 250 lb big beared bikie waling into a shop & buying a can of hair spray , checkout operator looks funny at him he says " it's for the grips on my Hog "

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use pipe insulation and hair spray. Put the split down and as Bert said work fast.

waylonJ

Threads
I use pipe insulation and hair spray. Put the split down and as Bert said work fast.
Great advice - thanks guys! Rivets, I thought about pipe insulation but it seems really thick. Did you find a thinner foam type of pipe insulation or is the thicker stuff okay?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just use the thick stuff, no one has ever complained. Tape a piece on and give it a try, if you like it glue it on.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might look around for some AC line insulation. Most suction lines are 3/4 or 7/8 and have a more dense foam. About any HVAC shop would have a big wad of this stuff in the dumpster.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last time i replaced foam on a mower handle i got foam tubing off ebay meant for bicycles. I found it more durable than the pipe insulation from the big box store. Used dish soap as a lube. Dries like glue

waylonJ

Threads
Thanks again gents!