Replacement option recommedations, if needed

wisdomispriceless

Forum Newbie
Threads
1988 Simplicity 6512.5 garden tractor with 1,149.x hrs. Runs as it should with no smoke, but sounds to me like there's rattling coming from within the engine, as if there's slop in the connecting rod bearings or elsewhere. I contacted a well known local repair shop a few years ago to get an estimate on what it would take to rebuild it. The owner told me that he thought that the rebuild parts needed would be difficult to come by if they were even available, and that he would get back with me. Well, he never did, so I'm thinking he struck out on finding the necessary parts. Why else would he turn down easy money to be made during the off season? If anyone knows any different, please let me know. This is a B&S 12.5 hp twin cylinder L head engine, model 404707, type 1212 01, code 88081512.

If parts are not available to do the rebuild, can anyone recommend a replacement engine that would work with this platform? This tractor was my dad's, extremely well taken care of, and is in excellent condition, has all of the original parts with the exception of one of the mower deck sheaves and bearing. As previously mentioned, this was my dad's and I hate to part with it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This tractor was my dad's, extremely well taken care of, and is in excellent condition,
No surprise there.

Does your dad have extension cords that are like 40 years old? Look like you just bought them? I mean coiled up so nice like you just pulled it out of the package? LOL My dad has extension cords older than I am LOL LOL. Still new looking.

So back to the engine, do you check the oil prior to mowing every time? I bet your dad did LOL.

Wondering if the engine was ran low on oil? Looks like a 1988 engine. There is a .020 over piston and rings available. Some parts are not though. Call a good mower shop and see if they can get the parts for you.

Or use this link to find your parts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would go to the best Briggs authorized repair shop in your area and ask them the cost of a replacement engine. Bring all your engine numbers with you. I think you will find that rebuilding the engine will cost nearly 75% of a new engine. I think most parts are still available, both would only rebuild as a last resort.

wisdomispriceless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I was a Navy nuke in the fast attack submarine service. The Navy has what is called PMS (preventive maintenance service), where equipment is taken down and serviced whether needed or not, the idea being to catch a potential problem before it takes place, to maintain a database of what parts have the greatest longevity in service, and, believe it or not, to determine why equipment has not had any failures. I'm well versed in maintaining equipment and I assure you this engine was never run low on oil. Just got off the phone with the local authorized Simplicity dealer and was told that the life expectancy of this engine is 800-1200 hours max before being worn out. This one has 1,149 hours, so the rattling would be indicative of part failure, not poor maintenance. Turns out there still are several parts available through the dealership and even likely NOS parts can be located through online sources. Time to tear it down and narrow the problem down.
No surprise there.

Does your dad have extension cords that are like 40 years old? Look like you just bought them? I mean coiled up so nice like you just pulled it out of the package? LOL My dad has extension cords older than I am LOL LOL. Still new looking.

So back to the engine, do you check the oil prior to mowing every time? I bet your dad did LOL.

Wondering if the engine was ran low on oil? Looks like a 1988 engine. There is a .020 over piston and rings available. Some parts are not though. Call a good mower shop and see if they can get the parts for you.

Or use this link to find your parts.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fellow military service member. Knew there was something I liked about you LOL.

wisdomispriceless

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would go to the best Briggs authorized repair shop in your area and ask them the cost of a replacement engine. Bring all your engine numbers with you. I think you will find that rebuilding the engine will cost nearly 75% of a new engine. I think most parts are still available, both would only rebuild as a last resort.
Thank you, Rivets. Called the authorized dealer near me and was told there are 2 options available for replacement. A v-twin that wouldn't fit under the hood and would require wiring harness modifications, a reconfigured muffler arrangement, and frame drilling. The 2nd option would be a single cylinder that would fit under the hood, but would require the same modifications as the v-twin. The basic replacement engine without muffler would start at $1,200. Was told that the total just for engine and parts to make the modifications would be in the $1,500-1,600 range. Was also told that the shop would not take on this job, most likely because it isn't factory specific work and it's not cost effective for them to do so. The guy I spoke with checked for rebuild parts and was surprised to find that many are still available (you were correct), but suggested that I try to narrow the problem down before pursuing it any further.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check with another Briggs authorized dealership or contact Briggs directly. I’m confused by the options you were given on engine replacement. They may be correct, but I would get a second opinion. If you contact Briggs make sure you have all your engine number and the numbers of the ID tag on the Simplicity. This tag is on the frame. You may still have to go the rebuild route, but a second opinion is worth your time. Here is one way to contact Briggs.

Briggs & Stratton Customer Service – Phone​

Contact Briggs & Stratton by phone on: 800-444-7774.

Customer service hours of operation: Monday-Friday: 8am-5pm CST.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it sounds about right
I have a couple of West Woods here that had opposed cylinder L heads and nothing new will fit into the space without major modifications .
So they sit here waiting till I find where I put that box of spare time to rebuild the motors with
I have an Ariens Zoom that originally came with a Courage single and again nothing will fit in the space but a Courage single
So it sits here waiting for a Kohler crack engine to come in or I can find another Loncin / Lifan / Ducar with the forward mounted oil filter
I have 4 Greenfield mowers waiting for me to make some mounting plates to raise the engine enough to clear the steering linkages .

However if the crank is good on Wis's mower everything else is available down here , pistons in 2 oversizes .
The only problems I could see would be the camshaft , crankshaft & con rods
Hundreds of bespoke motorcycle parts makers that can either weld & regrind the cams ( Most car shop gear is too big )
Corilio will remake any con rod if sent a drawing or the dead rods and they go about $ 300 ( aus ) a piece.
And as it is an L head the crank can be either reground or fame sprayed & reground

As Wis is doing this on a labour of love basis then all quite cost effective .
However if he is going to do a rebuild he needs to get his gasket kit quickly as their price seems to be doubling every 6 months