Replacement engine for RM828e

pete c

Threads
I have an Ariens rear engine RM828e.

Changed the oil today. Couldn't get much out of it, but it may have been quite low.

Filled with a little less than a qt of 30 wt .

Started it, checked dipstick. It looked like it was a good bit over-filled. I thought, that can't be right. Ran it about 5 minutes, then BOOM!!!!!

Chunks of metal flying.

Crap.

I guess it was overfilled. :(

Pretty sure it is an 8 hp tecumseh, but can't say for sure as I don't see a name anywhere. I did look at a youtube video of the same mower and the owner said it was an 8 hp tecumseh.

Anywho, I just bought need belts and a battery. Everything else seems in good shape. I think it deserves a transplant if I can find one.

Any ideas where I might find one? Did an internet search. Don't see anything.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Pictures would be a great help.
I've never heard of an engine blowing because it was overfull.

Romore

Threads
That is an L-head (valve in block) engine which are long gone. If you want to go new a Briggs and Stratton 21R807-0072 would probably be the cheapest but you will need to purchase a fuel tank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that is a 900 series Ariens Rear Engine Rider then you will have to install the new engine east west across the frame.
The new OHV engines are longer and will not fit into that space.
From my very unreliable memory I think I had to put a spacer under the mower as well because it fouled on something.

Lots of 8 to 15 Hp engines that will fit and a lot come with fuel tanks as well.
Here is one at $ 400 + freight https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines4340.html

Not you have to mount it muffler to the rear which makes getting to the car b a bit tedious.
We did put a V twin on one with a tank sideways under the false hood.
It was a bit interesting shoehorning it in but it did go quite well with the bonus of conversion to electric PTO.